The Peel

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
RUSTY

Post by RUSTY »

No Precinct Boy, you're probably thinking of 'Mad' Mick who had wild, long hair, very strange eyes and used to say 'lend us a quid' alot which became his nickname. Mick the glass collector, was about 5'5", quite tubby, had a moustache and wore embroidered tops with loons. His girlfriend, Sharon, was about 5'3", shoulder-length brown hair and quite thick glasses, they lived in Pudsey.
SR

RUSTY

Post by RUSTY »

The Square on the Lane IS the old Peel
SR

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks Rusty, I wasn't sure!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wayniac wrote: I got drunk on a pint of mild back then. Just up Boar Lane was the Kohinoor Indian. We used to get the hottest vindaloo there.... I used to go to the Kohinoor in the early seventies. I'd never eaten Indian food until a holiday in London in 1970, where I had my first naan. We visited several Indian restaurants in Leeds trying to find this delicacy with no success. But in the process became hooked on Indian food. (still are) We used also to go to The Ashoka (next to Merrion Centre Bowl) and one at the bottom of Merrion Street whose name escapes me.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Precinct Boy

Post by Precinct Boy »

RUSTY wrote: No Precinct Boy, you're probably thinking of 'Mad' Mick who had wild, long hair, very strange eyes and used to say 'lend us a quid' alot which became his nickname. Mick the glass collector, was about 5'5", quite tubby, had a moustache and wore embroidered tops with loons. His girlfriend, Sharon, was about 5'3", shoulder-length brown hair and quite thick glasses, they lived in Pudsey. That sounds like the guy

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

Trojan wrote: wayniac wrote: I got drunk on a pint of mild back then. Just up Boar Lane was the Kohinoor Indian. We used to get the hottest vindaloo there.... I used to go to the Kohinoor in the early seventies. I'd never eaten Indian food until a holiday in London in 1970, where I had my first naan. We visited several Indian restaurants in Leeds trying to find this delicacy with no success. But in the process became hooked on Indian food. (still are) We used also to go to The Ashoka (next to Merrion Centre Bowl) and one at the bottom of Merrion Street whose name escapes me. I remember the Indian restaurant at the bottom of Merrion Street, it was almost opposite Nash's Fish restaurant. Their speciality was a dish called "hot meat" or whatever. You always knew it was coming out of the kitchen because all the clientele would start coughing from the fumes it gave off. It was served on a hot iron platter. Always gave us a big laugh.The owner of the Kohinoor moved to Scarborough. We were on holiday there in 1976 and wandered into this Indian restaurant where I ordered a vindaloo. As soon as I tasted I knew it was the same as the Kohinoor, a few moments later the owner popped out of the kitchen. Same guy! We had a good long chat. Certianly miss that place...

GINGER TOMMY

Post by GINGER TOMMY »

Hollie wrote: I have just read a Book by Peter Robinson who writes crime fiction based in Yorkshire. He mentions 'The Peel' and I know I would have gone there in the sixties but I can't remember where it was. Anyone help jog my memory. yeah it was on boar lane,it is now the `square`,l went there from 1973 to when it closed in 1977. lt was a great pub that played rock music down stairs-two ladies called betty & barbara used to be on the decks. lt was then a websters house and l contacted the brewery recently to see if they could get me any info/photos on the peel but had no luck. lm glad that l dropped on this forum and found somebody who remembers it. l had a lot of good mates here-and now a lot of good memories. lf anyone has any photos of the peel or in the peel please get in touch.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I remember seeing a fight outside it - probably 1958. But from what people are saying about the place, it doesn't seem to have had a rough reputation.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

alfie

Re: The Peel

Post by alfie »

went in there myself

alfie

Re: The Peel

Post by alfie »

went on trips to blackpool early seventies from the peel does any one remember