Bowling Green Shock (pic)

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

For years we were chased of the Original Oak bowling green, and quite rightly too. But when profit purged community and tradition it got turned into a beer garden. Imagine my shock when i saw this picture.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULL1968! High heels on the green! And the gentlemen of the club are smiling!! Only because they're advising her to lean forward more ("Shut up Dereck, its worth a divot").

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

have you seen where she's positioned that ball?? loli wonder if she did that on purpose?? lol        ps/ i feel some photoshop tomfoolery coming on lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Brandy haha
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Nice one Cardi,                         Must have being arond the same time I had my first ever pint. It was in the Original Oak.Can't dilvugle my age well ,but I was well under though. 1/10 a pint back then,so one could get the wobbly boot on,fish and chips from the chippy on St Micheals Lane on the way home. and get change out of a quid for the night."Tell that to the young kids of today and they woud never beleive you"Seem to remember the bowls paid on sundays and evenings during summer
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL Pheww Cardi - you gave me a shock with this topic title - I thought that Wetherspoons had changed their minds again about the Bowling Green in Otley !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

The caption says the men were dressed in period costume.Tall hats,frock coats and ....... jesus sandals,with socks!!!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

yorkiesknob wrote: Nice one Cardi,                         Must have being arond the same time I had my first ever pint. It was in the Original Oak.Can't dilvugle my age well ,but I was well under though. 1/10 a pint back then,so one could get the wobbly boot on,fish and chips from the chippy on St Micheals Lane on the way home. and get change out of a quid for the night."Tell that to the young kids of today and they woud never beleive you"Seem to remember the bowls paid on sundays and evenings during summer Not quite, I was nine days old when they took that photo, living in Wood Lane. That was a bit young, even for the Oak.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Brandy wrote: have you seen where she's positioned that ball?? loli wonder if she did that on purpose?? lol        ps/ i feel some photoshop tomfoolery coming on lol Hi everyone,I was brought up in Woodhouse and, as a baby in the 1940's, on summer evenings, my parents used to take me to the Oak in my push chair as, besides the bowling green, there was a beer garden and they would call there for a drink.During the late 1960's, I used to go in the Oak, regularly, as quite alot of the local rugby teams from Moortown, Roundhay, Headingley and Bramley used to meet up in there. I even met my wife there, in 1967. We used to use the bar next to the bowling greenRegarding the photograph, I knew the small, well built man in the centre of the photograph, with the pipe in his mouth. His name was Tony Hunter. Both he and his brother were crime reporters for the Yorkshire Post/Evening Post and used to sit in court every day, monitoring cases. They were both single and lived in Headingley. They went in the Oak every night but used the downstairs bar, they also played bowls at the Oak for years. I, too, was amazed when the bowling green ceased to be, and became an overflow for drinking students.There was also another bar, above the 'bridge', called the Oak Room, which could be hired for private functions. I don't know what it is now as I haven't been in the Oak for years.Ian    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Brandy wrote: have you seen where she's positioned that ball?? loli wonder if she did that on purpose?? lol        ps/ i feel some photoshop tomfoolery coming on lol come on then Branders get shopping.How about a caption competition??Carry your bags sir?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

cnosni wrote: Brandy wrote: have you seen where she's positioned that ball?? loli wonder if she did that on purpose?? lol        ps/ i feel some photoshop tomfoolery coming on lol come on then Branders get shopping.How about a caption competition??Carry your bags sir? OR 'Yer don't get many o' them to't'pound!