Town pubs of the late 70's/early 80's

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
bigpants

Post by bigpants »

scrumpies was possibly the darkest place on the planet and had a sticky carpet of unbelievable tenacity. great music though.does anyone remeber "yell" under the back of the merrion centre? (might have been a bierkeller before my time) Yell wasn't open long but it was great. Mel B out of the spice girls used to dance there before she made the big time (then un made it again!)

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I was in town the other day and noticed some stonework enscribed with "The Masons Arms" above the door on the Goth / emo clothing shop next to The Regent and on the opposite corner to where The Scotsman used to be (before it became an amusement arcade) between the Market and the Corn Exchange - on the junction of Kirkgate and Call Lane.I can remember The Scotsman being open, but I can't remember The Masons Arms - anyone have any ideas when that closed?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I've often noticed that sign too, it also has a square and compass on it. I think it must have closed quite a while ago: I dont remember it ever being open and I've been going in city centre pubs since the mid 70's.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

twanky

Post by twanky »

bigpants wrote: scrumpies was possibly the darkest place on the planet and had a sticky carpet of unbelievable tenacity. great music though. I remember it well.Used to go there from 1990 up to about 96. I didn't know there was a carpet until they took it up ! I thought it was just a sticky floor. Great music like you say

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Ah Yes scrumpiesWent there most Thursday/Friday/Saturday Nights mid 80s.Delicately decorated in black to match our leather jackets,beautiful brick wall alcoves to the side where you could have a nap after too many of the obligatory Newcastle Browns(try sleeping when Black Sabbath was being played by the old dj Alan and his beautifully manicured moustache)The pool table at the bottom in the "Hospitality" section(a place with a couple of seats!)Halcyon days,best bit was is that at one time you had to be a member and one new years eve when most of town was shut Scrumpies was the only place open and if you were not a member you could not get in.Great stuff watching all the "Trendies" trying to get in and unable to do so whilst the dirty greasy long haired brigade just waltzed past and down the stairs,pay back for all the times WE couldnt get into Yates!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Heh. Seems to be a few old Scrumpies veterans on here! Loved the place, it was my second home between '87 and '92, particularly the Tuesday glam nights and the Saturday afternoon sessions. Scabby little hole, but GREAT fun. I still miss it.

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

LeeRatbag wrote: Heh. Seems to be a few old Scrumpies veterans on here! Loved the place, it was my second home between '87 and '92, particularly the Tuesday glam nights and the Saturday afternoon sessions. Scabby little hole, but GREAT fun. I still miss it. The King Charles on, I think, Lands LaneYorkshire Hussars, where Hoagey's is, on EastgateHope and Anchor (Grope and W****r), now The New Penny

stevief

Post by stevief »

raine wrote: The crown hotel opposite tetley's brewery reopened briefly about a year ago as a squat that hosted some amazing gigs and parties. Tetley's owned the place so it didn't last long. Anybody ever drink in there when it was still a 'real' pub?Not strictly city centre mind. Nor was stoagies [?] that turned into caspers, now demolished, what about that place? I always gave it a miss cos i heard someone got stabbed in the eye there. And whilst i am moving towards the little woodhouse/hyde park area of leeds it has to be worth mentioning the newlands, burnt out and demolished after the police used it as a surveillence spot that sparked the 'hyde park riots' - 1995 i think. Further down the hill from there was another dodgy boozer, the little park, that place shut down and turned into student flats not long after a drugs bust that turned up herion and fire arms. I don't think i mind that i missed out on a pint in any of the above 3 or am i buying into the hype? When I first called in the Crown(early 80's) it was a Whitbread pubwhich was strange because it stood literally in the shadow of Tetleys brewery.I think you are referring to Stoggys on Burley Road.It had an upstairs lounge and downstairs was either a nightclub or a snookerhall in the time I used it.I heard about the stabbing,it wasn't quite so commonplace back then.I've been in both the Newlands and the Little Park.They weren't the sort of pubs you'd go in wearing a t shirt with an inflammatory slogan on it(ouch!)Didn't the Newlands change it's name shortly before it burned down???

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

I remember the Town Hall Tavern - my sister in law worked there.I remember the Highlander as well and the Pig and Whistle. I thought the Fox and Newt was formerly the Railway? It stood where the old Wellington Street Railway station had been.Surely the Red Lion has been a gay pub for quite a long time now - it was painted pink at one time - and it is much older than the New Penny.I remember the Hyde Park with brown decor and a round seat - horrible really. I remember the Chemic as well - I don't know what it's like now.I believe the George Inn which is mentioned in Jane Eyre was based on a pub/inn in Leeds where Charlotte Bronte had stayed. It was somewhere near the modern railway station but I don't know where or if the building still exists under another guise

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Quote: Who remembers the first German "beer cellar" and where was it? The Beer Keller, ah I remember it well, was underneath the Merrion Shopping Arcade next door to the bowling alley (underground), the entrance was on Wade Lane where the entrance into the Merrion Hotel is now.Was the threepenny bit shaped one on Wade Lane called the General Wade? Seem to remember that changed its name a few times.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?