Town pubs of the late 70's/early 80's

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

raine wrote: Between being adam and eves and the hi-fi club it was called scrumpies, an absolute hole but a great place. It was punk/metal/goth kind of place that had a club on a saturday afternoon that cost 50p to get in. Anyone else frequent there? Oh it was called liquid after that too but it had lost it's charm by that point. I have heard that sonic youth and the butthole surfers played there at some points in the 80's. Wish i'd seen that. I used to go In scrumpys in the early 80's-it was the only nightclub you could get in at 16! I believe it was previously called the Central soul club and reverted to that name in the early 90's . It always had a horrible damp smell and my mother told me it used to be a waxworks in the 1940s and was apparently the sort of place your parents told you to steer clear of as it was frequented by 'undesirables'. It still was when I used to go in there....

munki

Post by munki »

LS13 wrote: anthonydna wrote: What was that awful pub near where the "heath robinson bike" used to be ?Also what was Chaplins called before it was Chaplins? I seem to remember a pub with a scottish name, I always thought it was the Tam O'shanter but I know realise I was wrong.Any memories of the Bali Hai, surely the classiest place in town, or sixth form parties at Belindas, some firetrap on lower Briggate ! Not sure if it was the same pub as Chaplins but I think there was a pub called the Highlander in The Merrion. I think it was the one at the other end which came something like Jug and bottle. There was also the Tap & Spile at the North end of the Merrion Centre, which still stands empty.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

raine

Post by raine »

the tap and spile was what chaplins turned into, chaplins vanished about 95/6 i think, the tap didn't last too long, it's been shut for years.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Raine - I've drunk in all 3 pubs you mention- the Crown, the Little park and the Newlands.The one I spent most time in was the crown - it was a whitbreads pub despite being next door to Tetley's! there was a tie-in with the Fox and Newt on Burley Road (ex Rutland hotel) at one stage and i think they either planned to brew on the premises or ship beer in from the brewhouse at the Fox and Newt - but I don't think it ever happened.(they did brew at the Fox and Newt though of course).in the mid eighties the landlord was a friend of a friend (cant remember his name - the landlord I mean, my friend was called Tony) and we spent the evening of Live Aid at the Crown watching it on their T.V.The Newlands was very briefly nenamed/rebranded it was called the Brewers or the Brewers Arms or something very similar -only went in once(when it had been renamed I mean, I went in the old Newlands a few times) - came straight out again - not a welcoming place!!It was called this new name when it was torched I believe.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

pid

Post by pid »

i was at leeds music college in 90 - 91 and formed a blues/rock band with three of my mates off the course. amongst our list of high profile gigs were a two weekly resindency at the white swan (mucky duck) on call lane which lasted a whole month due to the indifference of the regulars and a couple of gigs in the back room of the newlands. very odd indeed . they had a full backline (guitar and bass amps) and a p a system all made by orange and a bright orange matamp drumkit permanently set up on stage for bands to use. it was like the whole stage had been tangoed ! and as my pal mark was playing an orange squier strat at the time it must have looked shocking from front of house. what they didnt have however was chicken wire across the front of the stage and i can vividly remember struggling through a ninety minute set with beer mats bottles and tab ends raining down on us and we were actually quite good cant imagine what went on in there if they didnt like a band . it must have been hellish

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Having scoured my memory banks again(!) i think the last incarnation of the Newlands was actually "the Happy Brewer"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

raine

Post by raine »

the happy brewer sounds right to me. That might be the least sucessful rebranding exercise of all time. Good memories of their in house PA and of watching live aid at the crown. I'd forgotten all about the white swan, saw a couple of gigs there myself, i think that got knocked down in the end.

jan8

Post by jan8 »

Stirred a few memories here !!! Anyone remember the Hoffbrau House (not really a pub) but I had some good saturday nights there in the 70's along with the Tam O Shanter, Three Legs, Picadilly bar et al.
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

LS13 wrote: raine wrote: Between being adam and eves and the hi-fi club it was called scrumpies, an absolute hole but a great place. It was punk/metal/goth kind of place that had a club on a saturday afternoon that cost 50p to get in. Anyone else frequent there? Oh it was called liquid after that too but it had lost it's charm by that point. I have heard that sonic youth and the butthole surfers played there at some points in the 80's. Wish i'd seen that. I used to go In scrumpys in the early 80's-it was the only nightclub you could get in at 16! I believe it was previously called the Central soul club and reverted to that name in the early 90's . It always had a horrible damp smell and my mother told me it used to be a waxworks in the 1940s and was apparently the sort of place your parents told you to steer clear of as it was frequented by 'undesirables'. It still was when I used to go in there.... The pub near Featherstones kite was originally called the Wayfinder , opened in the late 60s

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

jan8 wrote: Stirred a few memories here !!! Anyone remember the Hoffbrau House (not really a pub) but I had some good saturday nights there in the 70's along with the Tam O Shanter, Three Legs, Picadilly bar et al. Who remembers the first German "beer cellar" and where was it?