Pubs and lost pubs in and around Otley.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Si

Post by Si »

I recently found this old photo (c.1880) of Otley's former Royal Oak.It makes an interesting comparison with Drapesy's photo of this pub at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.At some time, it has been considerably altered - not just the windows, but the floor levels too. Some evidence of the original fenestration can be seen on the walls. The nice door surround is part of the addition to the left, and therefore not an original feature of the pub. I'm guessing the deep stonework of the window surrounds means that the building was rendered when it was altered. This would also have hidden the bodged brickwork now visible.
Attachments
__TFMF_m4unrtumo2nw4r55geojy145_128ceeac-7a75-43fd-92f2-0ad9aca809bf_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_m4unrtumo2nw4r55geojy145_128ceeac-7a75-43fd-92f2-0ad9aca809bf_0_main.jpg (161.91 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

Si

Post by Si »

This picture (c.1904) shows the Royal Oak (far right) taken from the opposite direction. The extension and alterations to the windows has taken place by this date. In the foreground is the old grammar school building, in front of which stands today the Chippindale statue.
Attachments
__TFMF_zcobgh45zyegc5a5oke50q45_0a01e19b-0810-4e14-9339-bc8d56e37932_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zcobgh45zyegc5a5oke50q45_0a01e19b-0810-4e14-9339-bc8d56e37932_0_main.jpg (249.46 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I have a dilemma now - do I include the renamed 'Bridge'?? its certainly a pub name - but is it still a wine bar? what's the difference anyway???
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

As the awfully named Suburban Style Bar, it sold mainly bottled beers and wine. Renamed the Bridge, the signs outside now advertise cask ales, though I haven't been in yet. Along the road, the renamed Horse and Farrier (formerly the Three Horseshoes/The Lyxx) has probably taken some of their drinking-from-the-bottle clientelle, so they may have decided that the real ale route is the way to go, as the Old Cock is doing so well. Incidentally congratulations to them for being named Leeds CAMRA Pub of the Year.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I believe The Red Lion is closed, again?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Sadly the Red Lion is closed - but should re-open on Thursday when they con another victim into taking over a short lease. The usual story - Enterprise randomly add another 30K to the rent and evict the current tenant whom they have sucessfuly bled dry. Meanwhile at the Black Horse - refitted so sucesssfully, Enterprise now want the tenants to pay for it all! And have incresed their rent by almost double (to 100k). This will thus close in February. As if you weren't depressed enough, Punch will soon seek to dispose of the Ring o' Bells and the Bay Horse.Between them these two tyrants are doing their utmost to destroy what little remains of Britain's once proud pub heritage. Their aim appears to be to bankrupt as many poor fools as possible on the way and drag them down with their sinking ships.In any other trade the despicable way in which Pubcos operate would have been outlawed long ago.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Doesn't seem to be much sign of life at the Royalty

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phips wrote: Sadly the Red Lion is closed - but should re-open on Thursday when they con another victim into taking over a short lease. The usual story - Enterprise randomly add another 30K to the rent and evict the current tenant whom they have sucessfuly bled dry. Meanwhile at the Black Horse - refitted so sucesssfully, Enterprise now want the tenants to pay for it all! And have incresed their rent by almost double (to 100k). This will thus close in February. As if you weren't depressed enough, Punch will soon seek to dispose of the Ring o' Bells and the Bay Horse.Between them these two tyrants are doing their utmost to destroy what little remains of Britain's once proud pub heritage. Their aim appears to be to bankrupt as many poor fools as possible on the way and drag them down with their sinking ships.In any other trade the despicable way in which Pubcos operate would have been outlawed long ago. here here.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I will say this Weatherspoons are doing a good job with the pubs they take over.The ex Black Bull in Pudsey now the Crossed Shuttles is very busy. i have had a few meals in there and i cant fault them we go in about five oclockand there are never less than thirty or fourty people in at that time.i cant say that for any other pubs in Pudsey so they must be doing something right.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

drapesy wrote: Doesn't seem to be much sign of life at the Royalty I've just looked at the Royalty website and saw this:-"The Royalty. We have now closed - we would like to thank all our customers for being loyal, we had a great time... hope to see you all again soon. Chris & Team 11 September at 09:40".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.