Pubs and lost pubs in and around Otley.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
OtleyGiles

Post by OtleyGiles »

Si wrote: iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Si,I, too, have heard that a small consortium (possibly linked with Kork's) have bought the Spite and it is to be renovated and then re-opened as a pub/restaurant. I have lost count of the number of times that the Spite has opened, closed, reopened again, etc., over the past few years. I will believe it when I see it, and have had a pint in it.Ian That's one of the rumours I've heard too, Ian. If it happens, I'll see you there. I have been informed regarding The Spite. The owner from Korks and his head chef. (An ex landlord from the Yeoman) has taken on the Pub and they are hoping to open around September. This does seem rather a long time though. I'll try get some info. .        

Si

Post by Si »

OtleyGiles wrote: Si wrote: iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Si,I, too, have heard that a small consortium (possibly linked with Kork's) have bought the Spite and it is to be renovated and then re-opened as a pub/restaurant. I have lost count of the number of times that the Spite has opened, closed, reopened again, etc., over the past few years. I will believe it when I see it, and have had a pint in it.Ian That's one of the rumours I've heard too, Ian. If it happens, I'll see you there. I have been informed regarding The Spite. Mr Payne from Korks and his head chef Micky (An ex landlord from the Yeoman) has taken on the Pub and they are hoping to open around September. This does seem rather a long time though. I'll try get some info. from Micky.     Hi Giles. I wondered when you'd register on here! Yeah, I know Michael from his Yeoman days. Good luck to 'em!

Phips

Post by Phips »

Ahem, sorry chaps but I did suggest The Spite/Korks link some time ago (posted on 28th Jan). My understanding is that although no brass/contracts have yet been formally exhanged, work on the roof has started. Meanwhile the Red Lion has re-opened. Bit of good summer weather perhaps to stimulate trade? We can live in hope eh?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

re the no jukebox in Sam Smiths pubs.This is correct as they refused to pay the fees for licencing after the change of licencing law.That is why the jukeboxes were removed from many sam smith's puns e.g. The Old Red Lion in Leeds.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Steve Jones wrote: re the no jukebox in Sam Smiths pubs.This is correct as they refused to pay the fees for licencing after the change of licencing law.That is why the jukeboxes were removed from many sam smith's puns e.g. The Old Red Lion in Leeds.     Steve, same for the TV,s I beleive
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Si

Post by Si »

Phips wrote: Prhaps least expected is the owner of Korks has bought The Spite off Enterprise. Slightly more foodish theme perhaps but it will return to being a pub. Very handy for those evening walks. Oooops!!Sorry Phips.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Thanks Si - I wasn't meaning to sound like a clever dick there - but guess I might have. Sorry!More news hopefully soon.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Just tried The Fleece, and their sensitivity to the pub's heritage is commendable. Still a separate tap room (with benches) for drinking only, the Tetley's clock still adorns the bar, and the shoulder height Gents urinals are still present (in the bogs, obviously). Perhaps best of all, about 8 different real ales on handpump - all of Wharfebank's plus 4 guests. Food looks good value too, and plenty of folk in the reiverside garden outside - even though it was perishing cold. I predict and hope a success here.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Thanks for all the new info .I have updated original entries for the Fleece, Three Horseshoes, Black Horse and Spite.I will post updated pics of the Fleece and Three Horseshoes/Horse and Farrier when I get chance.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Having been closed all week, the Red Lion looks set to re-open tonight (13th April). Meanwhile the Horse & Farrier (Shoes) is on course to open on the 20th and the Black Horse on the 21st.Also please can anyone interested in promoting Otley pubs be outside the Black Bull on Monday 18th at 12.45pm for a press launch of 'The Yorkshire Princess'. This is an Otley Pub Club initiative to re-name the town's pubs temporarily for the Royal wedding - just like Teteleys did in 1986 for Andrew & Fergie. (see the photo at the side of the bar in The Fleece tap room, or the appendix page in 'The Pubs of Otley'). Thanks!