Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Mate, I'm Rothwell born and bred and I've never heard pip about it other than in history books. Maybe Lismore Close was started 9 years ago but there has been no pub / hotel there in my lifetime. Maybe the foundations remained in Smith & Robbies yard and as such remained on the OS map. Who knows but it weren't there.We fegged many a ball from S&R's yard for Athletic and that is the exact site of Lismore Close and it was a lorry yard, nowt else.Out of interest the Halifax in Commercial Street was The Miners Arms 60 years or so ago and there was also a pub down by the Canal in Woodlesford called The Anchor.Also some history books refer to a village near Oulton called Fleet, down Fleet Lane, of which there is no trace whatsoever.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

ads

Post by ads »

1970 map showing where the hotel was. This was never part of the haulage yard, but was adjacent to it. It sat between the bowling green and the football pitch
Attachments
__TFMF_o2jyi045u00rkw5540mh3u55_e2775da9-d402-44d3-8530-8221b6f45933_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_o2jyi045u00rkw5540mh3u55_e2775da9-d402-44d3-8530-8221b6f45933_0_main.jpg (319 KiB) Viewed 53196 times

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

ricky wrote: anyone out there with memories of the blue moon,bramley ?i worked behind the bar there early 70s.landlord was ken haigh and wife norma. i think ?mods & rockers days christ we saw some battles in the car park !!!the dave lee sound were regular on thursday nite.good days Hi Ricky welcome to S/LUsed to go all over to watch Dave Lee Sound they played a few times at Hall Rd WMCA Good Rockabilly band of local lads from Bramley/Armley were Namesake late70's early 80's.Also used to go to school (Green Lane) with Mick Gale, pianist with Hotfoot GaleWe played football and his mother used to make him go for piano lessons.
"always expect the unexpected"

ricky

Post by ricky »

thanks for the welcome. leeds lad..you may know the blue moon became :the harvesters;but it wasnt up to scratch, they made it a one room open plan and ruined it.wasnt too long before the bulldozers moved in.
live every day as if its your last... one day you will be right !!!

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

i used to go and see hotfoot gale they were great,wonder what happened to them

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

ads wrote: 1970 map showing where the hotel was. This was never part of the haulage yard, but was adjacent to it. It sat between the bowling green and the football pitch It could have gone around 1970 but I know that area from mid 70's onwards and have absolutely no recollection of it either being there or being mentioned. It certainly did not service the football club. Have you got the 1984 map?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Doubledave

Post by Doubledave »

bramley13 wrote: i used to go and see hotfoot gale they were great,wonder what happened to them Mick now lives in Filey, but still plays sometimes in and around Leeds on his own. See link http://www.gordonkellett.co.uk/Artistes ... ndex=2528I go for a pint or six every Thursday with Gerry (the drummer) who now plays with a band called "Gerry and the Atrix".

mariner74

Post by mariner74 »

I've heard a rumour that the Middleton Arms, an incredibly imposing building, may be closing down and then being reborn as a discount supermarket (one of the german ones, 4 letters long). While the clientele may be a little, how can I put it, rough around the edges, surely it must be almost criminal to allow such a grand old lady to close and cease to be an alehouse? Especially if what I have heard about the place having a ballroom within it is true (Can anyone confirm or deny this one?).

ricky

Post by ricky »

update on the bowling green(rabbit trap) rothwell.I am informed by a member of rothwell bowling club, they do have a bar which consists of; a bitter and lager pump and and the usual spirits available.
live every day as if its your last... one day you will be right !!!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

mariner74 wrote: I've heard a rumour that the Middleton Arms, an incredibly imposing building, may be closing down and then being reborn as a discount supermarket (one of the german ones, 4 letters long). While the clientele may be a little, how can I put it, rough around the edges, surely it must be almost criminal to allow such a grand old lady to close and cease to be an alehouse? Especially if what I have heard about the place having a ballroom within it is true (Can anyone confirm or deny this one?). I don't know about a ballroom, but the Miggi Arms certainly had a massive function room (with dance floor) in the late 80's / early 90's.I don't know about those cheap supermarkets. The Lion and Lamb on York Road was bought then demloished within a couple of weeks, supposedly to make room for a continental cut price supermarket, but it's two years (or more) on and there's no sign of anything happening there.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell