Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Is The Woolpack shut then?I usually go there for the Folk Festival to watch the various Morris sides etc and visit the excellent Wharfed Ales next door.I planned to do so this year. Will try to find out for you Steve - I only heard by phone, and as I say I wasn't sure whether it was the Woolpack or the Ring o' Bells. Actually I would imagine the latter to be the answer - perhaps one of our Otley pals knows already ?? As far as I know, the Woolpack and Ring'o'Bells are both still open, but I don't frequent them very often. I'll have a look Sat morning. Might bob into Wharfed Ales an'all, Steve (mind, his stock hasn't been as inclusive of late.) I was told last night that the Bowling Green might end up as...yes, you've guessed it - flats. I hope not. I wish they'd get a move on, too, Blakey. Did the Bowling Green ever actually have a bowling green, and if so, where was it? Someone told me it was at the front, but I don't think the space is big enough. It can't have been at the back (no room) and the Garden of Remembrance to the side was the site of Grove House (I think,) then a British Restaurant, then the Gardens. Anyone know?

simong

Post by simong »

The George on Commercial Road in Kirkstall has been closed for several years now and indeed was put up for sale on condition that it wasn't to be used as a pub anymore, although it seems that its fate will depend on what happens to the plans for the Kirkstall Lights area. The Lights pub is also now closed permanently but that's because it's going to be redeveloped as part of the (uncertain) plan for the area.I was told by a friend yesterday that it looks like the Wellington on Wellington Street has closed again - it could be for the holidays but it was shuttered up, which is something of a surprise as although it's a bit out on a limb these days, it never seem to do too badly for trade. I haven't been into town for a while so I can't confirm.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

simong wrote: The George on Commercial Road in Kirkstall has been closed for several years now and indeed was put up for sale on condition that it wasn't to be used as a pub anymore, although it seems that its fate will depend on what happens to the plans for the Kirkstall Lights area. The Lights pub is also now closed permanently but that's because it's going to be redeveloped as part of the (uncertain) plan for the area.I was told by a friend yesterday that it looks like the Wellington on Wellington Street has closed again - it could be for the holidays but it was shuttered up, which is something of a surprise as although it's a bit out on a limb these days, it never seem to do too badly for trade. I haven't been into town for a while so I can't confirm. I'll check the Wellington out on Monday (if I remember) as I drive past on my way to work after dropping mrs ravey off. It used to be The Central, didn't it when it had a good reputation for bands playing there?Certainly the dreaded "Pub to Let" signs have been up there for a while - there are a heck of a lot of offices and new apartments near there, but I guess everyone heads into, rather than out of town?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Si

Post by Si »

The Ring'O'Bells and The Woolpack in Otley were both open yesterday and no To Let signs were up, so it looks like it was just a rumour. Bought some bottles of Leeds Brewery IPA from Wharfed Ales, too. All the Sainsbury's opening announcement hoardings have been removed as the Council finds them an "eye-sore" unlike the tatty plain blue fencing surrounding the building site! Netto's have been refused permission to use the old Ford garage site because it is "outside" the town centre. It's about 200 yards from the existing site!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: All the Sainsbury's opening announcement hoardings have been removed as the Council finds them an "eye-sore" unlike the tatty plain blue fencing surrounding the building site! Netto's have been refused permission to use the old Ford garage site because it is "outside" the town centre. It's about 200 yards from the existing site! Well well well - hmmm - so Sainsbury's get planning permission to use a site where all the surroundings will be wrecked, and the traffic problems abominable, and there is another large supermarket also "outside the town centre" in Burras Lane - and yet Netto can't move to a relatively peaceful location with minmal disruption to the town. There is a bit of an aroma about this, and its not coming from any "in store bakery" wouldn't you agree ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: All the Sainsbury's opening announcement hoardings have been removed as the Council finds them an "eye-sore" unlike the tatty plain blue fencing surrounding the building site! Netto's have been refused permission to use the old Ford garage site because it is "outside" the town centre. It's about 200 yards from the existing site! Well well well - hmmm - so Sainsbury's get planning permission to use a site where all the surroundings will be wrecked, and the traffic problems abominable, and there is another large supermarket also "outside the town centre" in Burras Lane - and yet Netto can't move to a relatively peaceful location with minmal disruption to the town. There is a bit of an aroma about this, and its not coming from any "in store bakery" wouldn't you agree ?? Hi BLAKEY It smells like the stuff the cows leave when they go home.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks for the information on The Woolpack. I look forward to having a pint or three there on the Saturday of the Folk Festival.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: All the Sainsbury's opening announcement hoardings have been removed as the Council finds them an "eye-sore" unlike the tatty plain blue fencing surrounding the building site! Netto's have been refused permission to use the old Ford garage site because it is "outside" the town centre. It's about 200 yards from the existing site! Well well well - hmmm - so Sainsbury's get planning permission to use a site where all the surroundings will be wrecked, and the traffic problems abominable, and there is another large supermarket also "outside the town centre" in Burras Lane - and yet Netto can't move to a relatively peaceful location with minmal disruption to the town. There is a bit of an aroma about this, and its not coming from any "in store bakery" wouldn't you agree ?? Smells? It stinks, Blakey. I know Otley isn't a big place, but Cross Green is hardly out in the sticks. And you're right, their argument works both ways. Also, the old tannery on Sainsbury's site burning down a few years ago could be seen as a little convenient. However, Sainsbury's built a new building for the St. John's Ambulance, so that's OK, then...

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

raveydavey wrote: simong wrote: The George on Commercial Road in Kirkstall has been closed for several years now and indeed was put up for sale on condition that it wasn't to be used as a pub anymore, although it seems that its fate will depend on what happens to the plans for the Kirkstall Lights area. The Lights pub is also now closed permanently but that's because it's going to be redeveloped as part of the (uncertain) plan for the area.I was told by a friend yesterday that it looks like the Wellington on Wellington Street has closed again - it could be for the holidays but it was shuttered up, which is something of a surprise as although it's a bit out on a limb these days, it never seem to do too badly for trade. I haven't been into town for a while so I can't confirm. I'll check the Wellington out on Monday (if I remember) as I drive past on my way to work after dropping mrs ravey off. It used to be The Central, didn't it when it had a good reputation for bands playing there?Certainly the dreaded "Pub to Let" signs have been up there for a while - there are a heck of a lot of offices and new apartments near there, but I guess everyone heads into, rather than out of town? The Wellington isn't shuttered up, but the lease signs are still up.No idea if it's actually open or not though as I pass at 6.30am!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stevief

Post by stevief »

According to the programme of events for Otley folk festival,The Red Lion is closed.It was always a popular venue,all acts scheduled to appear there are moving next door to the Whitakers.