Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Leodian wrote: Thanks liits for that excellent information. I think that my recollection that a building that stood all alone after all the houses surrounding it had been demolished was a pub is probably incorrect, though it could perhaps have been the Providence Inn or possibly the Sir Ralph Abercrombie. My Bro-in -law has just sent me a copy of an article from the Yorkshire Post. This was in the British Newspaper Archives around 1938. I can't reproduce it here as it may infringe copyright laws ,that's if I could!The article goes on to name all the pubs around Leeds City centre that had closed since 1898. The number of pubs and licensed premises closed on Briggate alone was quite an eyeopener. Most because of the widening of that road.
ex-Armley lad

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote: Thanks liits for that excellent information. I think that my recollection that a building that stood all alone after all the houses surrounding it had been demolished was a pub is probably incorrect, though it could perhaps have been the Providence Inn or possibly the Sir Ralph Abercrombie. As a kid in the late 1940s going to school I remember seeing the two pubs you mention standing alone on the other side of York Road slightly lower down from the Hope Inn on the other side, got an even closer look as I went to Saville green school dentists. ( a terrifying experience) Don't know if they were still trading then. My Uncle Hughie Gallagher who was captain of England Rugby was the Landlord of one of them my Mother told me.    

liits

Post by liits »

[quotenick="j.c.d." As a kid in the late 1940s going to school I remember seeing the two pubs you mention standing alone on the other side of York Road slightly lower down from the Hope Inn on the other side, got an even closer look as I went to Saville green school dentists. ( a terrifying experience) Don't know if they were still trading then. My Uncle Hughie Gallagher who was captain of England Rugby was the Landlord of one of them my Mother told me.    Of the two Gallaghers who were licensees in Leeds, only one of them was in the immediate York Road area and that was Frank Gallagher [this was in the 40’s]. The other Gallagher, John Gallagher was licensee of the Mason’s Arms, St James Street [where Leeds Poly is – or whatever its called now] in the 50’s.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

liits wrote: [quotenick="j.c.d." As a kid in the late 1940s going to school I remember seeing the two pubs you mention standing alone on the other side of York Road slightly lower down from the Hope Inn on the other side, got an even closer look as I went to Saville green school dentists. ( a terrifying experience) Don't know if they were still trading then. My Uncle Hughie Gallagher who was captain of England Rugby was the Landlord of one of them my Mother told me.     Of the two Gallaghers who were licensees in Leeds, only one of them was in the immediate York Road area and that was Frank Gallagher [this was in the 40’s]. The other Gallagher, John Gallagher was licensee of the Mason’s Arms, St James Street [where Leeds Poly is – or whatever its called now] in the 50’s. Sorry about that, it certainly was Frank Gallaher, don't know where the name Hughie came from (a sign of getting old I guess) Thanks for the correction.    

zip55

Post by zip55 »

j.c.d. wrote: liits wrote: [quotenick="j.c.d." As a kid in the late 1940s going to school I remember seeing the two pubs you mention standing alone on the other side of York Road slightly lower down from the Hope Inn on the other side, got an even closer look as I went to Saville green school dentists. ( a terrifying experience) Don't know if they were still trading then. My Uncle Hughie Gallagher who was captain of England Rugby was the Landlord of one of them my Mother told me.     Of the two Gallaghers who were licensees in Leeds, only one of them was in the immediate York Road area and that was Frank Gallagher [this was in the 40’s]. The other Gallagher, John Gallagher was licensee of the Mason’s Arms, St James Street [where Leeds Poly is – or whatever its called now] in the 50’s. Sorry about that, it certainly was Frank Gallaher, don't know where the name Hughie came from (a sign of getting old I guess) Thanks for the correction.    In the band McGuiness Flint there was a Benny Gallagher & a Hughie Flint .... from there maybe?    

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I remembered that Hughie Gallagher was the famous footballer who played for Newcastle, my father told me at the time Hughie was the best player he had ever seen,     Sorry not on topic.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Many would agree. Sadly tooks his own life while suffering depression following the death of his wife and an incident when he hurt his son.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Help please,As a kid during the war, my brother and I used to walk along Church Rd to Mount St Mary's school. On the left hand side were the railway stables and opposite was a pub which was boarded up as that area (The Bank) was being slum cleared.In later years my mother told us she had lived there as her father was the landlord.I don't remember the name but it's nickname was "The Top Gerry", this would be somewhere in the late twenties.I would like any information on this pub please. My grandfather's name is Leach. regardsJ.C.D.

liits

Post by liits »

It would have been the North Eastern Hotel at the junction of Catherine Street and Cross Catherine Street.Leodis has the picture above....Thomas Leach was the Licensee from 30th April 1920 until 16th June 1922. He leased the property from the Albion Breweries of Woodhouse Lane [they later sold the freehold to Kirkstall Breweries].This was Thomas’ only stint as a publican, although there are lots of other Leaches who were Licensees. I don’t suppose you’d be willing to give his wife’s name [your grandmother]?
Attachments
7130.jpg
7130.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLThe other image on Leodis may explain why it gave the impression of being boarded up in the 40s. One of the comments certainly mentions the railway stables
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/