Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
macattack

Post by macattack »

Precinct 7 - for Whippet Girl. That's all there is.
Attachments
Precinct 7.jpg
Precinct 7.jpg (369.18 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

macattack wrote: Precinct 7 - for Whippet Girl. That's all there is. Great pics...........brings back memories...Can remember dancing(or something similar) on that raised stage............seemed bigger than what it looks in the pic,but that's the tricks of memory fade for you.Some right characters went in there.....never saw much trouble though,that was usually in the night club upstairs a bit after.Unless i dropped lucky on my visits ?? Never felt uncomfortable though and quite liked the place.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

@ macattack.Great pics probably unique.Would they be worth submitting to Leodis, just imagine if we had inside pics of the Crown and Fleece.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

zip55

Post by zip55 »

macattack wrote: Precinct 7 - for Whippet Girl. That's all there is. Dance floor designed like a boxing ring. Apt. I used to drink there in the mid-seventies especially Saturday dinner times.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

Is Owl in Rodley reopening All the pub signs back on building

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

When a large area of Burmantoffs (off York Road) was cleared in the late 1950s to (?) very early 1960s my recollection is that the last building standing for some time was a pub. On looking at a 1933 1:2500 map in the Old-Maps UK website there does not however seem to be a PH marked in the area (my recollection is it was roughly where a clinic is marked). I have attached an area of the map that covers what became the cleared area. It seems therefore that my recollection is wrong and there was no pub there. Does anybody recall if there was or was not a pub there? I have noticed on the 1933 map that there is a PH on the opposite side of York Road to where the Woodpecker would be as there is no PH marked where the Woodpecker was, so I wonder when the Woodpecker was built? Does anyone know what the name of the other PH was?
Attachments
19331To2500Burmantoffs.jpg
19331To2500Burmantoffs.jpg (200.81 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There was a beer house near where the clinic is marked - The Windsor Castle - but it was demolished long before then.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 9020Leodis shows Ebor Gardes under construction; hard to tell whether any of the remaining buildings were a pub.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 28_166794I believe The Ebor pub was built around 1960 at about that site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that help Geordie-exile, which is appreciated. I like the "View of potato merchants, T.H. Hobman & Co. potato store located at number 20 Windsor Street". There may not be many potato merchants around nowadays though I do recall there used to be in ye olde days. I recall mum occasionally buying a sack of potatoes, mostly for eating but some were planted and always gave a good crop in the clayey soil in our part of Osmondthorpe.

liits

Post by liits »

Here are the pubs and beer houses of Burmantofts. The area marked in yellow is the area on the 1933 map as “Clinic”. It seems it was built on an area previously occupied by the Leeds Industrial School for Girls [Matron: Miss Olive Anderson]. The premises of the school get another mention under another guise inasmuch as “75 Windsor Street. Leeds Ladies Association for the Care of Friendless Girls”. Who knows....?As to the pubs, the closest would have been the Garden Gate. A John Smith’s pub, it was always a beer house and never made the transfer to a full publicans license. It closed on 27th January 1941, a victim of the Corporation’s Closure & Compensation Commission.The Providence Inn was next closest. Another beer house [originally brewing its own beer on-site] it later became an Albion Brewery tied house and lastly an Ind Coop house. I don’t have the date of its closure but it lasted into the late 50’s at the very least as it is listed in the 1958 Barret’s Directory.The Sir Ralph Abercrombie was another beer house. Originally belonging to Findlay’s, it was lastly owned by Tetley’s. Again, it lasted into the 50’s.As to the Woodpeckers [both old and new]. The old [old] Woodpecker, on the north-east side of the junction was an Ind Coop public house. The Licensing Justices, on 10th March granted final permission for a new license to be granted to premises at the junction of York Road and Marsh Lane. The date of the closure and cessation of the existing license is not recorded but oftentimes, they closed on the day that the new premises opened.The new Woodpecker, on the south-east side of the junction, opened for business on 13th October 1939. Continuing as an Ind Coop house, it later transferred to Tetleys. It was built partly on the site of the former Simpson’s Arms.The Simpsons, a William Whitaker’s house, closed on 30th September 1938. No reason for the closure is given but it may well have been the sale of the land to Ind Coop. Leodis has a picture of the premises part way through its demolition. Back in the 1870’s, an ancestor of a SL member was the Licensee of the premises.    
Attachments
Burmantofts.jpg
Burmantofts.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks liits for that excellent information. I think that my recollection that a building that stood all alone after all the houses surrounding it had been demolished was a pub is probably incorrect, though it could perhaps have been the Providence Inn or possibly the Sir Ralph Abercrombie.