Leeds Pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
RaggyTash

Post by RaggyTash »

Jimbo5553 wrote: I am compiling a book about Pubs ( Inns Taverns etc not wine bars ) in Leeds 1750 to date, ( hopefully to be published in the near future), some are gone and those that are still openanybody with names of past landlords ( and aprox dates of licence ) or bar staff or indeed any unusual info on establishment please drop me an email, new info always welcomeI have aprox 1000 on my data basejimbo Hi jimbo-Am I too late to tell you that I used to work behind the bar at The Ostler`s-mainly on Friday&Saturday evenings-I was only there for about 6 or 7 months and left there in August 1980.The landlords name was Charlie-I cant remember his wife,s name-but I remember that she smoked and Charlie didnt like it-although HE smoked a pipe. I remember her ending an argument one night with the statement "I,ll STILL smoke the bl**dy things if they put them up to a pound a packet"(they were only 40p a pack in those days).I,m sure she wouldnt have had long to wait to proove her point.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

RaggyTash wrote: Jimbo5553 wrote: I am compiling a book about Pubs ( Inns Taverns etc not wine bars ) in Leeds 1750 to date, ( hopefully to be published in the near future), some are gone and those that are still openanybody with names of past landlords ( and aprox dates of licence ) or bar staff or indeed any unusual info on establishment please drop me an email, new info always welcomeI have aprox 1000 on my data basejimbo Hi jimbo-Am I too late to tell you that I used to work behind the bar at The Ostler`s-mainly on Friday&Saturday evenings-I was only there for about 6 or 7 months and left there in August 1980.The landlords name was Charlie-I cant remember his wife,s name-but I remember that she smoked and Charlie didnt like it-although HE smoked a pipe. I remember her ending an argument one night with the statement "I,ll STILL smoke the bl**dy things if they put them up to a pound a packet"(they were only 40p a pack in those days).I,m sure she wouldnt have had long to wait to proove her point. Whats that you say ? "Jimbo" ?Well, you see, the thing is, we ain't seen hide nor hair of old Jimbo round these parts for many a long day,pardner.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

jimboback on line and till looking for info on Leeds pubs,the thread on kirkgate was informative but slightly wrong in parts,re the numbering, the Buck ( 1 Kirkgate / Briggate junction ) ok and the Crossed Shears was at No 9 between the Buck and the Golden Cock.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

If Otley is included - in the 1950s/60s the landlady of the Ring o' Bells was a lovely elderly Irish lady called Daisy Maloney. Around the same time mine host at The Bowling Green was Robert (Bob) Blemings who has died very recently. The ladlady of the Black Bull in those days was an Irish lady whose sirname I know not, but her brother Tommy Devaney held the most wonderful music evenings in the little low bar at the Mercury Row end. He was a very skilled pianist, expertly playing his own individual interpretations of all kinds of music - never a sheet of music in sight The old upright piano had the yellowest keys you ever saw, although in perfect tune and regularly serviced, and you could scarcely see across the room for Tommy's cigar smoke and that from our cigarettes. Above the piano and facing the door was a huge mirror and Tommy would keep an eye on this to spot the regulars coming in - if he knew anyone had a favourite tune he would skilfully "dwindle" the piece he was playing and launch into the customer's favourite - at the time he knew that I loved "Ciribiribin" (Grace Moore's most well loved song) and would oblige without fail. He had some earlier connection with musical theatre and was a mine of information - one evening a most dignified and elegant lady (obviously from the musical theatre or opera) came in and was obviously visiting Tommy - at his request she stood and sang a few songs - finishing with the most beautiful rendering of "Ave Maria." - although it was the concert room of a little local pub you could definitely have heard the proverbial pin drop, and the applause nearly fetched the low ceiling down. She smiled sweetly, murmured thanks, and sat quietly down. Those were really magical evenings and I wish I could turn the clock back and enjoy them again.Perhaps Si could ask some senior locals if they remember Tommy and those wonderful evenings please ??    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Jimbo5553 wrote: jimboback on line and till looking for info on Leeds pubs,the thread on kirkgate was informative but slightly wrong in parts,re the numbering, the Buck ( 1 Kirkgate / Briggate junction ) ok and the Crossed Shears was at No 9 between the Buck and the Golden Cock. Slightly wrong in parts?? oh dear I was hoping for 100 percent perfection straight away!!! Please accept my sincere apologies - it must have been very disappointing for you and I promise I'll try to do better in future.The Crossed Shears/ Shears Tavern was NOT between the Buck and the Golden Cock but at 76 Kirkgate adjacent to the junction with Wharf Street . References to 'Shear's Yard ' at number 9 Kirkgate exist in early directories (e.g. Baines 1822 and Leeds Commercial Directory 1818/20) but (as explained in the Kirkgate Inns thread )this is using a previous number sysem that started at The Parish Church ran west along the south of Kirkgate to the Junction of Briggate then ran east along the North side back down to the area where the ' Old Nag's Head' was - opposite the Parish Church. Parson's directory of 1826 is the first I have found to use the present numbering system. This starts on the north side of the Briggate Junction runs eastwards; crosses over near the parish church and then runs west back to Briggate. This Directory lists the 'Buck' at 125 Briggate/1 Kirkgate and the 'Golden Cock' at 13 Kirkgate. The 'Shear's Tavern' is listed by Parson's at its correct location of number 76, not at number 9(or indeed anyother number betweeen 1 and 13) which it would be if it had been located in the place you incorrectly think it was.            
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

caz wrote: does anyone remember the name of an old pub in hunslet, it was on william street next to ashley st. off pearson street. my granny used to live in ashley st. and i can remember her taking a jug and having it filled up with beer around at the side entrance, this was about 1950 Hi caz did you get an answer to the name of the pub it was the Union Inn.I lived in Ashley in the fiftys i might know your family the main entrance to the pub was on Pearson Street you must be thinking of the out sales entrance. Sorry this post is a bit late but i just saw your post has i was looking through. All the best

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Anyone know what was on at the Cardy last night?I went past on my way back from seeing St Trinians 2 and it sounded like some sort of death metal band?
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: If Otley is included - in the 1950s/60s the landlady of the Ring o' Bells was a lovely elderly Irish lady called Daisy Maloney. Around the same time mine host at The Bowling Green was Robert (Bob) Blemings who has died very recently. The ladlady of the Black Bull in those days was an Irish lady whose sirname I know not, but her brother Tommy Devaney held the most wonderful music evenings in the little low bar at the Mercury Row end. He was a very skilled pianist, expertly playing his own individual interpretations of all kinds of music - never a sheet of music in sight The old upright piano had the yellowest keys you ever saw, although in perfect tune and regularly serviced, and you could scarcely see across the room for Tommy's cigar smoke and that from our cigarettes. Above the piano and facing the door was a huge mirror and Tommy would keep an eye on this to spot the regulars coming in - if he knew anyone had a favourite tune he would skilfully "dwindle" the piece he was playing and launch into the customer's favourite - at the time he knew that I loved "Ciribiribin" (Grace Moore's most well loved song) and would oblige without fail. He had some earlier connection with musical theatre and was a mine of information - one evening a most dignified and elegant lady (obviously from the musical theatre or opera) came in and was obviously visiting Tommy - at his request she stood and sang a few songs - finishing with the most beautiful rendering of "Ave Maria." - although it was the concert room of a little local pub you could definitely have heard the proverbial pin drop, and the applause nearly fetched the low ceiling down. She smiled sweetly, murmured thanks, and sat quietly down. Those were really magical evenings and I wish I could turn the clock back and enjoy them again.Perhaps Si could ask some senior locals if they remember Tommy and those wonderful evenings please ??     I'll ask around, Blakey. My neighbour would probably have known (I think he frequented the Black Bull) but he died a couple of years back. His brother-in-law lives down the street, so I'll try and remember to ask him next time I see him.

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

the Manston was the local headquarters of the Army Pay Corps during WW2jimbo