The Roscoe is dead-long live the roscoe

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Good to meet you at last Tony for those few pints mate! Give me a shout if you wanna get out & about with that shaky compact of yours :-))
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes, I'm a fixture in there most evenings for an hour or so.I'll take you up on that offer.Off-thread, I've sent you a mail with details of a long forgotten rail route you may not have explored yet.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks Tony. I'll check it now! i'm popping in during the week to chat with Andy again about some more pics of his stuff. I'll let you know when! cheers!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

Phill_d wrote: Back of the Sheepscr library has the old road sign of Roscoe street so there must have been a few rows of roscoes i reckon! Who has the old 1906 map again? the 'Roscoe's' were in the area between Barrack Road, Roundhay Road and Chapeltown Road ( where the Sikh Centre and Thomas Danby College are now, the Roscoe name is old Irish as the area was where the Navvies of Victoria days used to livejimbo

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

Phill_d wrote: Back of the Sheepscr library has the old road sign of Roscoe street so there must have been a few rows of roscoes i reckon! Who has the old 1906 map again? the 'Roscoe's' were in the area between Barrack Road, Roundhay Road and Chapeltown Road ( where the Sikh Centre and Thomas Danby College are now, the Roscoe name is old Irish as the area was where the Navvies of Victorian days used to livejimbo

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,I have just come across this thread, as a result of a link from Phil, in connection with another thread involving the old Roscoe pub in Chapeltown Road.With regard to the Roscoe Streets in the Leeds 7 area:Roscoe Crescent was situated between 36 and 38 Chapeltown Road.Roscoe Mount was situated at the side of the Methodist Church at 38 Chapeltown Road.Roscoe Road was situated between 3 Roundhay Road and 2 Roscoe Mount.Roscoe Street was situated behind Sheepscar Library between 1 Roundhay Road and 8 Tramway Street (Tramway Street was at 32a Chapeltown Road).Roscoe Terrace was situated at 40 Chapeltown Road, opposite the Cambridge Pub.(There was another Roscoe Terrace situated at 125 Town Street, Armley).Remember that the even numbers in Chapeltown Road and Roundhay Road are situated on the right when travelling away from the city.I tried to find out the origin of 'Roscoe', in the Leeds 7 area, but without success as there are many famous people with that surname.Ian.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Did someone on here have a pic of the old mural that was on the side of the New Roscoe. I can't seem to find it anywhere if it was?

Clive White

Post by Clive White »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi everyone,I have just come across this thread, as a result of a link from Phil, in connection with another thread involving the old Roscoe pub in Chapeltown Road.With regard to the Roscoe Streets in the Leeds 7 area:Roscoe Crescent was situated between 36 and 38 Chapeltown Road.Roscoe Mount was situated at the side of the Methodist Church at 38 Chapeltown Road.Roscoe Road was situated between 3 Roundhay Road and 2 Roscoe Mount.Roscoe Street was situated behind Sheepscar Library between 1 Roundhay Road and 8 Tramway Street (Tramway Street was at 32a Chapeltown Road).Roscoe Terrace was situated at 40 Chapeltown Road, opposite the Cambridge Pub.(There was another Roscoe Terrace situated at 125 Town Street, Armley).Remember that the even numbers in Chapeltown Road and Roundhay Road are situated on the right when travelling away from the city.I tried to find out the origin of 'Roscoe', in the Leeds 7 area, but without success as there are many famous people with that surname.Ian. Dunno if it's accurate but when the Roscoe shut in the early 90s the BBC claimed the name was derived from County Roscommon in Ireland. Didn't feel right to me, far more likely to have things called after County Mayo in Leeds.

mike-p

Post by mike-p »

I remember one time we went to the old Roscoe with a pal of mine from London, who turned on his push-bike. He left it unlocked outside on the street against all good advice - "no-one nicks things up north". Needless to say, when we emerged hours later the bike was gone, and our cockney friend was mortified.