Historic Leeds pub closes forever, shell of building to be used as Indian Restaurant.......

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Leeds-lad wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: drapesy wrote: Yes a fair point well made- just a shame to see so much of history slipping through our fingers- still thats the point of this website I suppose. My memories of the Nelson are from the early 70's. My wife was raised in Salisbury Road (and as a child played on the Samy Legard buses when they were parked on the road outside her house). It was my type of pub in the 70's. The tap room that was for men only-you can call me a chauvanist, but I was brought up never to swear in front of women so the tap ole' was great when in male only company to cuss and swear as occasionally men do. Then there were the corridor drinkers. I had never met this type of drinker coming from North Leeds, Beckets Arms, Melbourne, Murtle Tavern, Bay Horse et al were my locals. But discovered this was a way of life on Armley Road. The last time I was in the Nelson was probably late 70's, so that's how I remember it. Noone can take your memories away!! I remember it as a great PUB. That would be when Bob Kerry had the pub,Good football side mainly locals,good atmosphere,upstairs live music,backroom Juke box,front left Snug/lounge(tiny) and a brilliant tap room.Bob Kerry left and the Landlady from Hell ruined a great pub in about 6 months. Would that be Margaret wassername?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: Then there were the corridor drinkers. I had never met this type of drinker coming from North Leeds, Beckets Arms, Melbourne, Murtle Tavern, Bay Horse et al were my locals. But discovered this was a way of life on Armley Road.     "Corridor" drinking was a common phenomenon in Pudsey in the 70s. Men would stand, nursing their pint against their lapel, fag in the other hand. They never sat down. Commonly seen in The Royal, White Cross, Park, Old Roundabout, etc.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: Then there were the corridor drinkers. I had never met this type of drinker coming from North Leeds, Beckets Arms, Melbourne, Murtle Tavern, Bay Horse et al were my locals. But discovered this was a way of life on Armley Road.     "Corridor" drinking was a common phenomenon in Pudsey in the 70s. Men would stand, nursing their pint against their lapel, fag in the other hand. They never sat down. Commonly seen in The Royal, White Cross, Park, Old Roundabout, etc. Corridor drinking in the Grove on Friday night, and in the Adelphi too.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

On the other side of the coin,Wetherspoons have always worked by turning old business premises into pubs from their previous use.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Uno Hoo wrote: I applaud your passion, drapesy, and follow your posts with interest. I'm also concerned that so many pubs are closing which were once important community centres (or else contained particular elements of society so that we knew which establishments to avoid). But I also feel strongly that many pubs which are closing have had no chance of being sustainable businesses anyway - many of the discussions about this have been aired on this site and elsewhere.I stopped going in pubs years ago, despite having been an active CAMRA member for years. Why? Because many pubs weren't attractive. I didn't want wall-to-wall stereo, unintelligible large screen videos, promotions of inferior lagers at superior prices which brought in people with whom I had little or nothing in common. Yes, I disliked the smoke as well. My wife became fed-up with indifferent wine at high cost. Where I lived then, and where I live now were and are served by pubs which offer no choice, and the only thing that's changed is that they smell better. Some pubs are doing very well, because they break the mould, and if one like that was near me, I'd go, even though I've now lost my taste for alcohol. But I'm not going to travel miles to get there. Yes, I'm sorry about the Nelson, and not just because of its Ledgard links. Last time I went in there it was a dump. Life's too short to spend in dingy places. So I'd rather it was transformed into an Indian eatery than an electrical wholesaler, which is what happened to the next pub but one along - and the one in the middle has got nothing going for it.And it bothers me that communities are dying. In Bradford dozens of pubs have closed simply because they were in districts now occupied by people with a different outlook. Churches are closing, except for a few on the fringes, and everything else that requires some sort of commitment is struggling. My son's cricket club has folded; my brother-in-law has seen Bradford table-tennis decline from several leagues to a handful of clubs. Folk seem to come home from work and lock themselves in - I'm surrounded by households with several cars, very few of which seem to be used except for to and from work. My business takes me into clients' houses, and it's depressing to go into yet another lounge with a massive TV screen dominating everything and no sign of books or any other stimulus.People have stopped going to pubs because they've stopped living.So I wish the Nelson well in its new guise. It's better than demolition. Like Mike's Carpets across the road, it's helping to retain something of the character of the area. Unfortunately, Mikes Carpets is a private business and he has resisted the enforcements to carry out the required works o nthe building for years. However, the local councillors have and are continuing to get this building sorted. After all it does have a grade 3 listing and could be a beautiful building again. It is an eyesore but the new regen prog will make the greedy little sh1t do summat about the place.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I thought he was a tennant and it's his lease that's holding thing up? I could be wrong.The building was up for auction a couple of years ago. Don't know if it got sold.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

drapesy wrote: ..... is how the thread entitled "historic Leeds pub to reopen", regarding the Nelson in Armley, should have been worded! I do apologise I only worded it as the YEP website had it.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.