Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
jma

Re: Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Post by jma »

We're in the lull before the storm. Furlough and other similar schemes are keeping places from being permanently shut but there must be loads that will never reopen once that support is removed.

RobH

Post by RobH »

The Victoria Hotel (behind the town hall) has been boarded up for some time. I was suprised as it used to be very popular, and has/had a beautiful victorian interior. From what little I can discern it was sold by Nicolsons to 'Blackrose Pubs' who seem to have not re-opened it after lockdown. The same company own the Vesper Gate near Kirkstall Abbey, and that has re-opened, so it seems to be just the Vic that has been shut.

Doesn't seem to be listed for sale/auction anywhere.

jma

Post by jma »

The Vic was recently mentioned on the Lost Leeds Pubs thread

The interior was fully refurbished around the early 1980s. It used to be really busy at lunchtime because it was a popular watering hole with lawyers, police and others involved with the courts in the Town Hall. When the courts were moved out into two separate buildings, it lost much of that trade. Also, the building next-door on the corner of Calverley Street, which had housed the Juvenile Court and was used as an overflow for the adult courts was converted into another, competing boozer.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

RobH wrote:
Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:02 pm
The Victoria Hotel (behind the town hall) has been boarded up for some time. I was suprised as it used to be very popular, and has/had a beautiful victorian interior. From what little I can discern it was sold by Nicolsons to 'Blackrose Pubs' who seem to have not re-opened it after lockdown. The same company own the Vesper Gate near Kirkstall Abbey, and that has re-opened, so it seems to be just the Vic that has been shut.

Doesn't seem to be listed for sale/auction anywhere.
I think that the Victoria Hotel is owned by Milton Pubs & Taverns Ltd who have gone into liquidation ??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jma wrote:
Wed 27 Oct, 2021 7:19 am
Also, the building next-door on the corner of Calverley Street, which had housed the Juvenile Court and was used as an overflow for the adult courts was converted into another, competing boozer.
The Felon and Firkin which i believe then became and still is an O'Neils Irish Pub. The Felon would have opened mid 90s and was a "younger sister" of the Feast and Firkin, now "The Library" on Woodhouse Moor. The Vic won't have been helped by the opening of Veritas on Gt George Street and the more recent (5 years?) refurb of the Town Hall Tavern (Westgate/Headrow) which were both trendier to the younger crowd and nearer both the courts and most of the barristers/solicitors chambers.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Just a rumour at the moment.
It would seem the owner(s) of the Hope Inn on York Road are coming up to retirement soon.
The pub/land to be bought by an adjacent food/meals plant to improve access to their land after the pub is demolished.
Watch this space!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi have read on a Leeds news website that The Duncan pub on Duncan street has been boarded up, never gone in the place so can’t comment on what it was like

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The Duncan!
Seem to remember calling in once-once was more than enough
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I always regret the closure of so many pubs, but the Duncan is much less a loss than any other in Leeds.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The place was full of old grizzly men, a shizenhousen
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?