Historic Leeds pub to reopen ... ... ...

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

... ... as Indian restaurant.A historic Leeds pub, closed for more than a year, is to reopen its doors – but for a different purpose.The Nelson Inn on Armley Road is to become an Indian restaurant run by brother and sister Raj and Bharti Chaba.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 042180.jpI spent a LOT of my early youth in this pub, and the Rose & Crown. I was in The Nelson when I heard my 1st son had been born in '76. A very sad way to go.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Well, at least the new owners, thankfully, appear to have some respect for the history of the building. Samuel Ledgard actually passed away in his upstairs bedroom at the City end of the pub, and I fear that he will be turning in his grave at Hilltop Cemetery, Armley over this development.I was present, with many former employees, at the unveiling of the blue plaque by Mrs. Jenny Barron, Sam's grand-daughter. A picture of the occasiom appeared in the YEP.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

You heard it here first!

Newsman

Post by Newsman »

I have this photo and was going to share it, but the site won't let me - I go through the whole process of attaching only to be greeted with a yellow screen full of unintelligable programming prose. Shame...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Newsman wrote: I have this photo and was going to share it, but the site won't let me - I go through the whole process of attaching only to be greeted with a yellow screen full of unintelligable programming prose. Shame... There have been some isuues with messages in general.Just hold on for a while.On a note regarding the pub,im sure Samuel Ledgard would prefer the new use as opposed to its demolition.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Shall I cheer you all up by doing the gag about Nelson's ghost and the curry again?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

cnosni wrote: [On a note regarding the pub,im sure Samuel Ledgard would prefer the new use as opposed to its demolition. Very fair point crosni, I suppose he would
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

The ghost of Sam Ledgard goes into the Nelson after it's become an Indian restaurant, and sits at a table. Every time the waiter approaches, Sam waves him away. After about an hour the manager goes up and asks if he wants to eat."No, lad", replies Sam. "Ah'm just waiting for some Guys I know to turn up".Those who don't understand the punchline will have to ask Blakey to explain it to them.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Uno Hoo wrote: The ghost of Sam Ledgard goes into the Nelson after it's become an Indian restaurant, and sits at a table. Every time the waiter approaches, Sam waves him away. After about an hour the manager goes up and asks if he wants to eat."No, lad", replies Sam. "Ah'm just waiting for some Guys I know to turn up".Those who don't understand the punchline will have to ask Blakey to explain it to them. A complimentary giant popadom to the first person with the correct answer - residents of Wolverhampton may NOT participate !!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: The ghost of Sam Ledgard goes into the Nelson after it's become an Indian restaurant, and sits at a table. Every time the waiter approaches, Sam waves him away. After about an hour the manager goes up and asks if he wants to eat."No, lad", replies Sam. "Ah'm just waiting for some Guys I know to turn up".Those who don't understand the punchline will have to ask Blakey to explain it to them. A complimentary giant popadom to the first person with the correct answer - residents of Wolverhampton may NOT participate !! Do Arabs eat Indian food?
Industria Omnia Vincit