Pub related: Newcastle Brown Ale

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Geordie favourite to be brewed in Leeds*http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... anufacture of the famous Geordie brand Newcastle Brown Ale will switch to Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) said.It wants to close the Federation Brewery, Dunston, Gateshead, with the loss of 63 jobs by the middle of next year, because of falling beer sales in the UK.The famous bottled beer, with its iconic blue star label, first went on sale in 1927 and was brewed next to St James's Park football ground in Newcastle until 2005.The day after "Broon's" launch, it was said the local police appealed to the brewery to make it weaker because the cells were full of drunks.The ale was also dubbed "dog" by drinkers, as they would make the excuse of going to "walk the dog" when nipping to the pub.Many Geordies will remember with affection the sweet yeasty smell rolling across the city from the plant, which was demolished last year to make way for a science park.The brand owners won Protected Geographical Indication status from the EU, meaning Newcastle Brown Ale had to be brewed in the city, but that lapsed with the shift a couple of miles across the River Tyne to Gateshead, in 2005.Now production will move even further away - nearly 90 miles down the A1 - to the same brewery where John Smiths is produced.The brand continued to be popular abroad, particularly in the US.Paul Hoffman, S&N operations director, said: "Clearly this is a sad day, but the proposal to close Dunston is not a decision we have taken lightly."Nor is it a reflection on the employees at the site who have done an excellent job over the last few years in a very challenging market.""Falling beer sales have created general over capacity in the UK brewing sector and rising input costs have put unprecedented pressure on our business."The proposals we are announcing today are designed to address these challenges and to ensure that we remain competitive in the future."The Dunston site is currently running at around 60% capacity and our ability to consolidate beer production onto other sites presents a strong case for closure."We will, of course, do all we can to mitigate the effects of the closure on the people affected over the coming months."S&N said it carried out a detailed review of all its brewing sites and changes on other production sites, including Hereford, Tadcaster and Royal Brewery in Manchester were planned.Ironic, isn't it, that as one "brewer" looks to close Leeds' iconic brewery with one greedy eye on it's city centre location and move production elsewhere (probably outside Yorkshire), another one is moving production of another brew with a legendary regional identity to Gods Own County.TBH "Broon" has never been a favourite of mine - it has no body to it and it's too thin a taste. I see it's popular in the USA but given the amount of Budweiser they drink it's hardly a recommendation is it..?* - Tadcaster has an LS postcode, so it's Leeds as far as I'm concerned.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Si

Post by Si »

What next? Irn-Bru moving to Cornwall, and Ginster's moving to Glasgow??!!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Crikey. It was bad enough moving production to Dunston.    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Of course they swore blind they would never do this when they closed the Newcastle Brewery. I wonder if it will lose its protected name status?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Cardiarms wrote: Of course they swore blind they would never do this when they closed the Newcastle Brewery. I wonder if it will lose its protected name status? I think they've already lost that according to the article."The brand owners won Protected Geographical Indication status from the EU, meaning Newcastle Brown Ale had to be brewed in the city, but that lapsed with the shift a couple of miles across the River Tyne to Gateshead, in 2005."
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

That's an appalling kick in the teeth for Tyneside, and S&N should be ashamed of themselves. I can see Broon losing its local market altogether because of this. According to the Evening Chronicle they're clsoing the Fed altogether. I wonder where that leaves Federation Bitter, Ace (of 8Ace fame) and LCL?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

simong wrote: That's an appalling kick in the teeth for Tyneside, and S&N should be ashamed of themselves. I can see Broon losing its local market altogether because of this. According to the Evening Chronicle they're clsoing the Fed altogether. I wonder where that leaves Federation Bitter, Ace (of 8Ace fame) and LCL? In the days when I first started drinking there was a Clubs United Breweries based at York and the Fed took it over. It was very strong beer.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Did you see the geodie bloke on Look North last nighthe said (translated with on screen subtitles)"what do they know about brewing beer in Yarkshire"Further proof,if needed,that Geordies arent exactly "up to speed" when its anything to do with outside their Toon.Im not really bothered for the stuff,and im a bit sad that people will lose their jobs.Its a shame that a local product is moving from its traditional home,i dont really like this sort of thing.BUT cosidering ill get plenty of mileage out of winding up all the already miserable Geordies who are work colleagues then this is manner from heaven,this will prove to be years of digging.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Of course it should be noted that brewing of "proper" John Smiths Ale at Taddy ceased some time ago - Only John Smiths Smooth is still manufactured there.As I understand it, the cask John Smiths Bitter is actually brewed on t'other side of t'hill nowadays...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

raveydavey wrote: As I understand it, the cask John Smiths Bitter is actually brewed on t'other side of t'hill nowadays... I'm not keen on John Smiths cask. I used to like it when they first re introduced it, but the last pint I had at The Old Shoulder of Mutton at Bruntcliffe was not up to much.
Industria Omnia Vincit