Off licence back room bars

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

My mate's dad has often spoke of an off license in Rothwell, on Carlton lane (long since demolished but basically opposite the firestation). The Shopkeep had a room out the back which he ran as a an illegal pub. The brewery rep tolerated this as he sold so much but he had to warn him he was buying more than the Black Bull down the road and someone would notice.There must have been other shops doing the same pre-1970'sWhat a great idea. As pubs close all over the shop and supermarkets charge so little for ale i'm sure there are places that do this today. Chuck a fiver in a hat and bring your own tins and pot.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

PJ

Post by PJ »

Reggie,This long-standing tradition continued when the "new" off licence was built.It was a common enough sight on a summer evening to see four or five locals hanging over the balustrade can in hand.Sadly the owner - Billy I believe - has moved on.The current proprietor does not seem to encourage such behaviour.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Billy Sispal lives just down up the road and to the right on Lay Garth. The "new" guy Kev O'Leary i think, is a local lad, ex-Rodillian and he's had it years now.It would be tempting to know where you'd stand legally if you didn't sell the ale just let people bring their own and unofficially charged then to come in.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: My mate's dad has often spoke of an off license in Rothwell, on Carlton lane (long since demolished but basically opposite the firestation). The Shopkeep had a room out the back which he ran as a an illegal pub. The brewery rep tolerated this as he sold so much but he had to warn him he was buying more than the Black Bull down the road and someone would notice.There must have been other shops doing the same pre-1970'sWhat a great idea. As pubs close all over the shop and supermarkets charge so little for ale i'm sure there are places that do this today. Chuck a fiver in a hat and bring your own tins and pot. Yes reggie you can usually find them at the back of any local shop there called CHAVS lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: My mate's dad has often spoke of an off license in Rothwell, on Carlton lane (long since demolished but basically opposite the firestation). The Shopkeep had a room out the back which he ran as a an illegal pub. The brewery rep tolerated this as he sold so much but he had to warn him he was buying more than the Black Bull down the road and someone would notice.There must have been other shops doing the same pre-1970'sWhat a great idea. As pubs close all over the shop and supermarkets charge so little for ale i'm sure there are places that do this today. Chuck a fiver in a hat and bring your own tins and pot. I remember the Holbeck Ale Wine and Spirit Vaults selling Tetleys on handpump, there was also an off licence in Beeston that sold draught beer on handpump too. Up to about twenty five years ago I'd guess. I know Bottoms Up, BeerRitz and The Ale Shop still sell draught beer, but the two shops I mean were just bog standard off licences in every other way. When the old guy who looked after the draught beer at Holbeck retired they stopped doing it. They also said that Tetleys would no longer supply 9 gallon barrels and they couldn't get anything bigger down the cellar.
Industria Omnia Vincit

munki

Post by munki »

Not sure that the Ale Shop still sells draught ale, sadly... since it has been revamped as a Bronx - style fortress of anti-shop lifting. With Naffees also next door it used to be a great spot to go if you needed one for the road at three o'clock in the morning.Happy days.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I remember the one up Beeston. It was near the New Inn. In the late 70's I was working for Fords builders (Burley Road) and we were doing some refurbs in the Garnetts. We used the Offy' for bottles of pop and such also I'm sure I remember blokes drinking in there as the pubs shut at 3 then.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

used to go to the Strega on Sunday afternoons sometimes in the 80's. You ued to buy a lollypop on the way in as your "meal" so you could buy drink.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Two or three years back when The Hampton in east Leeds closed down I was told that the incumbent was selling the remaining beer out of the back window every aftie.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Chrism wrote: I remember the one up Beeston. It was near the New Inn. In the late 70's I was working for Fords builders (Burley Road) and we were doing some refurbs in the Garnetts. We used the Offy' for bottles of pop and such also I'm sure I remember blokes drinking in there as the pubs shut at 3 then. I am ashamed to say (or am I) that I lived in Primrose Lane (near where Holbeck police station is now),and the off license on Burton Road sold Tets on draft and sherry on draft at 5/0shilling (25p) for a big jug     I was not ashamed that I lived on Primrose Lane but ashamed I spent too much time in the offy