Starlight Roof roller skating rink.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Can anyone remember the Starlight Roof roller skating rink that was behind the Shaftsbury picture house? I remember my cousin taking me late 50s early 60s I think, under duress I was bout 10-12 and she was a teenager wanting to flirt with the lads and she always thought I was in the way. I can remember one song always being played was Brenda Lees (I think it was her)singing The day that the rain came down.
Ex Leeds Lass

liits

Post by liits »

Although the “Shafts” has gone, the Starlight Bar is still there. I would never have thought it was big enough to roller skate in! I also think that this was covered in a previous thread either Lost Nightclubs of Cinemas]Also, some pics on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg1955/2738858239/

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

liits wrote: Although the “Shafts” has gone, the Starlight Bar is still there. I would never have thought it was big enough to roller skate in! I also think that this was covered in a previous thread either Lost Nightclubs of Cinemas]Also, some pics on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg1955/2738858239/ The Starlight Bar is at the side of the cinema the roller rink was behind the cinema and more behind Sumries tailors on York road.
Ex Leeds Lass

osmond

Post by osmond »

The Starlight Bar is now closed. The Starlight Roof skating rink was behind the DSS building and was originally the canteen for Heptons clothing. It closed in the early 1960s and the last record to be played there every night was 'Its almost tomorrow'

liits

Post by liits »

I never knew that. Somehow, I just couldn’t imagine roller skating in the Starlight Bar!