Boundaries

The green spaces and places of Leeds
thewarden

Post by thewarden »

Hi, im new here but a have a big interest in Leeds.Im not sure if this is the correct forum to post in so please advise if not.Im trying to get a clear map of the boundary between Middleton and Beeston.Ive seen this post..http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ght=1Which kind of discusses it but there is no clear definition.Does anyone know where it might be found?Many thanks..    

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think I was one of the "combatants" on that thread. As it is "Middleton woods" you might take the treeline but as they were both villages long before they became suburbs of Leeds I doubt you will ever find a definitive answer. Hunslet and Belle Isle also came into the equation. Hunslet also probably an ancient village which due to its proximity soon was swallowed into the City of Leeds. Belle Isle doesn't seem to have such a history created mainly by the urban sprawl of the 20th Century. Some buildings e.g. ebor house are 19thC but that is borderline Stourton.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: I think I was one of the "combatants" on that thread. As it is "Middleton woods" you might take the treeline but as they were both villages long before they became suburbs of Leeds I doubt you will ever find a definitive answer. Hunslet and Belle Isle also came into the equation. Hunslet also probably an ancient village which due to its proximity soon was swallowed into the City of Leeds. Belle Isle doesn't seem to have such a history created mainly by the urban sprawl of the 20th Century. Some buildings e.g. ebor house are 19thC but that is borderline Stourton. Having fought (and lost) a battle with the Parksider on another forum on the subject of where Hunslet stopped and Beeston started I'd better stay quiet
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Another forum or another thread?East of Dewsbury road from the junction to the sports and social club is 'unslet. North from sport an social to John Charles (formerly south leeds) stadium is also 'unslet. West of Dewsbury road and south of SandS to SLS is Beeston. The corner of the woods close to SLS is probably where 'unslet, Belle Isle, Miggy and Beeston all meet. The tree line mentioned is probably the best you will get on the Miggy Beeston boundary and as I am a Phoenix supporter who has lived mainly in Beeston I won't try to define Miggy/Belle Isle and Belle Isle/'unslet boundaries
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: Another forum or another thread?East of Dewsbury road from the junction to the sports and social club is 'unslet. North from sport an social to John Charles (formerly south leeds) stadium is also 'unslet. West of Dewsbury road and south of SandS to SLS is Beeston. The corner of the woods close to SLS is probably where 'unslet, Belle Isle, Miggy and Beeston all meet. The tree line mentioned is probably the best you will get on the Miggy Beeston boundary and as I am a Phoenix supporter who has lived mainly in Beeston I won't try to define Miggy/Belle Isle and Belle Isle/'unslet boundaries Another forum about Rugby League not LeedsBut the Fire Station opp what used to be the Crescent is Hunslet Community Fire Station - I know I went and looked to prove I was right and it proved I was wrong We used to go down to the bottom of Wide Lane in Morley, cross Dewsbury Road, and go down to the railway we used to call that "Middleton" - were we correct?Was the Rex in Middleton? Presumably the Tommy Wass is Beeston.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

not trying to be argumentative but to clarify the point. I'd say the Rex was Beeston as most definitely is Tommy Wass. The continuation of Wide Lane over the ring road would probably be in line with the tree line of the woods so the parkwood (?)estate is Beeson too. The ringroad is the boundary that separates Churwell and Morley from Miggy and Beeston but wouldn't like to say where Churwell meets Morley. The White Rose Centre and Woodman are Churwell, the White Rose pub is almost certainly Morley.Although I accept your evidence, I'm surprised the firestation is designated 'unslet as the areas behind it (Tempest road etc.) are designated Beeston (most notoriuosly by the residence of two sets of home grown jihadists)

thewarden

Post by thewarden »

Thanks for the input -Some very interesting information.Thanks

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The post code boundaries might also shed some light but I can't find a recent map with them on. Belle Isle and Middleton - LS10, Beeston and Holbeck - LS11, Morley and Churwell - LS28(Ithink). The White Rose Centre blows that one as it has an LS11 post code but is officially Churwell or is it just "the exception that proves the rule"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: The post code boundaries might also shed some light but I can't find a recent map with them on. Belle Isle and Middleton - LS10, Beeston and Holbeck - LS11, Morley and Churwell - LS28(Ithink). The White Rose Centre blows that one as it has an LS11 post code but is officially Churwell or is it just "the exception that proves the rule" Morley is LS27. I think LS28 is Pudsey. The Morley boundary sign used to be opposite the Woodman. If you cross Dewsbury Road directly opposite Wide Lane, there's a muck road that leads down to Topcliffe Beck, then you go up to the Leeds/London railway line, then under the bridge are the remains of a further railway line - which I believe was planned to be utilised for the aborted Supertram. After that it's what we (perhaps mistakenly) used to call Middleton Woods.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Yes I ought to have done better research on the Morley post code. You may be correct on Middleton woods especially before modern roads but in the modern era there aren't many trees south of Middleton ring road so I would say only north. However I am not old enough to remember what thee Bodmin Road estate replaced so its only opinion on my part