Crop circles

The green spaces and places of Leeds
David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Anyone ever found any locally? Or made any?I'd never heard of any crop circles in the fields surrounding Leeds until last summer.Previous to that, the nearest one I'd heard about was by the Devil's Arrows standing stones at Boroughbridge, and the nearest one I'd seen myself was by the M62 near Goole. Anyway, last July I got a text from a mate saying that he'd spotted one by the A58 Wetherby Road between Bardsey and Collingham. So we went to check it out...We could see where it was from the Harewood-Collingham Road. (It was in a field by the A58, but not visible from the A58! So we had to get our bearings from here.)Parking up in a layby on the Wetherby Road, we set off through some woods in the direction we thought it lay...Near the top of the hill, we found it!A simple design - a circle with a few concentric rings...The inner circle:-But then the farmer appeared in his tractor. So we legged it!It took me back to being a bairn - running from the farmer! I'm 39 FFS!Right, I'm off to make some dens and dam some becks...CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

simonm

Post by simonm »

Closest one to Leeds was at the side of the M1 a few years ago. Must admit, I was really pleased to see one at Avebury in Wiltshire, the home of the mystic and crop circles!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

liits

Post by liits »

On Google Earth, some bright spark had posted a marker pointing out four crop circles in a field near Ossett. Had they zoomed in a bit closer, they would have seen that it wasn't crop circles, but the long grass growing around the base of the four legs of the pylon. Crop [Cr*p] circles FFS, it's like seeing faces in the lino when your sat on the lav.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

You don't really get them up here. The majority of the circlemakers (yes, they are man made) live down south which is why they tend to concentrate on Wiltshire etc.I know some of the circlemakers personally. they can make realy complex circles.There is an excellent documentery called "CIRCLEMAKERS" by Matthew Williams (the only man convicted of making crop circles) which shows techniques and has interviews with some of the major groups.I have a copy, but it is hard to find as Matt does it himself so you can only get it from him or someone who has a copy as he gives the right to copy it to buyers except for commercial purposes.my copy won't actually copy though due to a glitch in the burning of it!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

We saw one a few years ago out Wakefield way. But I think the 'aliens' had had too many shandys as it was a rather 'cr*p' circle.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

there was one at Ossett a few years back. AFAIK it was done by some locals trying to emulate the more famous ones.I recall being told about one near a cricket club at one of my Pagan Moots, not sure if it was the same one. It was back in the 1990's.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

here is one groups website for those interested in looking at (or creating!) circles.They are one of the main ones:http://www.circlemakers.org/

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

Ive seen two (only one near Leeds). the first was about 10 years ago at the first "performance bikes frenzy," at Cadwell Park near louth. 15000 of us camped in a field, went to bed i a bit of a state and awoke next morning to find a perfect and complex circle in the adjacent field. Unfortunately this was in the days before digital camera or mobile phone cams. The other one was in a guy i Knews field alongside jct38 of the M1. This was huge and perfect and appeared overnight. you could still see the shape for 2 or 3 years of cropping and ploughing afterwards and i was told this was because of slugs. apparently the flattened crop left the ground full of grain and this provided a feeding fenzy for slugs who weakened the new seasons crop in the exact same shape as the original circle.