The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
sundowner

Post by sundowner »

There are Rhubarb sheds just off Roker Lane Pudsey i think they are still used or they were when i lived on Roker Lane a few years ago.

mariner74

Post by mariner74 »

Where the Arla head offices are now used to be all rhubarb fields, I know because its spitting distance from where myself and Mrs Mariner reside! I feel proud when I tell folk that I live within the famed triangle!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Rhubarb from the triangle is to get protected status, like Champagne and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies. I don't like Melton Mowbray Pork Pies much and I can't tell Champagne from Cava but stillhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markea ... angle.html
Industria Omnia Vincit

tilly

Post by tilly »

Trojan wrote: Rhubarb from the triangle is to get protected status, like Champagne and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies. I don't like Melton Mowbray Pork Pies much and I can't tell Champagne from Cava but stillhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markea ... angle.html Thats because your not posh like what i am. L O L
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Trojan wrote: Rhubarb from the triangle is to get protected status, like Champagne and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies. I don't like Melton Mowbray Pork Pies much and I can't tell Champagne from Cava but stillhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markea ... angle.html Your right about Melton Mowbray pork pies,they are rubbish compared to Middlemiss Pies Otley.Whoever said M.M pies are the best in England has never had a decent pork pie!
ex-Armley lad

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Pah, typical Southern Reporting: "Jubilation today in Yorkshire's Rhubarb Triangle with the news that the region has been granted Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status by the European Commission." of course should be "Southerners come to understand what was plainly right in the first place."And MM pies, yes, rubbish.

tilly

Post by tilly »

stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Rhubarb from the triangle is to get protected status, like Champagne and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies. I don't like Melton Mowbray Pork Pies much and I can't tell Champagne from Cava but stillhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markea ... angle.html Your right about Melton Mowbray pork pies,they are rubbish compared to Middlemiss Pies Otley.Whoever said M.M pies are the best in England has never had a decent pork pie! I have been to Melton Mowbray and found the pies were a lot better than the ones they sell up here.It could be they are made cheap for the supermarket trade
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Wakefield Council held a Rhubarb Festival in Wakfield Town Hall yesterday.Why isn't Leeds council sponsoring something like this? After all the bulk of the Rhubarb Triangle whilst adjacent to Wakefield is actually in Leeds Met. I sometimes wonder what exactly Leeds Council does do for those of us who live south of the Aire. Our roads are like cart tracks, our bins don't get emptied, our roads don't get gritted (even when there is sufficient grit like February 2009) the grit bins don't get filled. It seems to me that our council is obsessed with millionaire's row at Shadwell, East Keswick and Collingham.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Coming late into this thread, I recall rhubarb being grown commercially in Calverley, on what is now Moorfield(?) Farm - I only drive past it every other day, so don't expect me to know its name - which is on the left as you leave Calverley towards Pudsey Lane Ends after you've come up the steepest bit of Woodhall Road out of the village. It now seems to be some sort of equine establishment, but for years after its rhubarb heyday the stuff grew wild. Does this extend the Rhubarb Triangle further north-west? For a minute there I was reminded of the film "North By North West" and had a crazy vision of Cary Grant dodging a crop-dusting plane amidst giant rhubarb plants!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Coming late into this thread, I recall rhubarb being grown commercially in Calverley, on what is now Moorfield(?) Farm - I only drive past it every other day, so don't expect me to know its name - which is on the left as you leave Calverley towards Pudsey Lane Ends after you've come up the steepest bit of Woodhall Road out of the village. It now seems to be some sort of equine establishment, but for years after its rhubarb heyday the stuff grew wild. Does this extend the Rhubarb Triangle further north-west? For a minute there I was reminded of the film "North By North West" and had a crazy vision of Cary Grant dodging a crop-dusting plane amidst giant rhubarb plants! The "Rhubarb Triangle" is the area where forced rhubarb is grown in long low sheds, does this sound familiar for Calverley?If you click on the link there's a map.
Industria Omnia Vincit