The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

wiggy wrote: city lights is my favorite,an exellent read for people like us,who love all things old leeds,mentioning leggards,schofields and dozens of other old firms.plus its not a novel,its a biography....i must try life after city lights next.. i enjoyed that but didn't like it when he said he preferred manchester and Birmingham as cities. Turncoat.There is a happy land is a great book though.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Don't get me wrong, i'm in full support of the fight to get our local Rhubard some protection and status but if it is grown in sheds why is it key that it is grown in and around Carlton etc?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

munki wrote: 'Forced Rhubarb' sounds a bit brutal. Maybe we should have a campaign to prevent this kind of thing going on? The Society for the Promotion of Unforced Rhubarb, or SPUR? Yes Munki,but please dont add the word "manufacturers" at the end of the societys title,the abbreviation,when spoken,could be quite embarassing
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

In the Leeds Telephone Directory for 1899/1900 (a fairly thin Book) there are listings for Chas Bettison,first as Fruit & Veg Salesman, Kirkgate Market then as Rhubarb Grower, Rhubarb Gardens, Stourton and also as Rhubarb Grower, Hunslet Lake.There were certainly Rhubarb Fields at the ends of the terraced rows of houses called the Idas off Pontefract Road, Stourton and also where the Stourton Marshalling Yard was going to be built which later became the end of the M1(until the urban extension was tacked on, later M621) My father who lived at Thwaite Gate, was friendly with a man called Selwyn Wade who was a Rhubard Grower in the area

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Don't get me wrong, i'm in full support of the fight to get our local Rhubard some protection and status but if it is grown in sheds why is it key that it is grown in and around Carlton etc? I don't think that it is key to be grown in sheds in Carlton - but it has to be grown outside first and the climate in this area is ideal for rhubarb.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Don't get me wrong, i'm in full support of the fight to get our local Rhubard some protection and status but if it is grown in sheds why is it key that it is grown in and around Carlton etc? I don't think that it is key to be grown in sheds in Carlton - but it has to be grown outside first and the climate in this area is ideal for rhubarb.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: wiggy wrote: city lights is my favorite,an exellent read for people like us,who love all things old leeds,mentioning leggards,schofields and dozens of other old firms.plus its not a novel,its a biography....i must try life after city lights next.. i enjoyed that but didn't like it when he said he preferred manchester and Birmingham as cities. Turncoat.There is a happy land is a great book though. true,true,but our beloved leeds wasn't always the gem it is today...i speak of the late 60s early 70s of coarse,when lovely buildings were ripped down,to be replaced with monstrosoties,designed by blindfolded architects...but then birmingham was world leader in that!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Reggie Perrin are you going to come to the party???
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Rhubarb from the Rhubarb Triangle is apparantly being featured on ITV's Calendar tonight.

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Trojan wrote: rikj wrote: Rhubarb used to be grown on a large scale in Kirkstall and wild rhubarb can still be seen around the banks of the Aire near the Bridge Inn. Presumably escaped from the sheds. These rhubarb fields are mentioned in Jake Thackray's song "The Kirkstall Road Girl" as in: "No more lampost deals, no more rendezvous in the rhubarb fields" (the song's about a prostitute who's gone up in the world) As I've posted elsewhere on the forum, Hollybush Farm, between the canal and river by the bridge, was once a rhubarb farm.
Northern Earth Walks