The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Even more rhubarb, BBC Leeds page today.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 215790.stm

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

There was a feature on the 'Rhubarb triangle' on Calender a few nights ago, apparently. I missed it mesen.Anyone catch it?
Northern Earth Walks

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

chameleon wrote: Rhubarb from the Rhubarb Triangle is apparantly being featured on ITV's Calendar tonight. On nationally on the "One Show" this evening. Kathleen Turner an American actress I've vaguely heard off was not impressed with her rhubarb pie
Industria Omnia Vincit

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jamie Oliver was talking about it too on one of his programmes. Said that at one point 90% of the Rhubarb in europe came from here.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Trojan wrote: chameleon wrote: Rhubarb from the Rhubarb Triangle is apparantly being featured on ITV's Calendar tonight. On nationally on the "One Show" this evening. Kathleen Turner an American actress I've vaguely heard off was not impressed with her rhubarb pie aint she gone down the pan since romancing the stone!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

LS1 wrote: Jamie Oliver was talking about it too on one of his programmes. Said that at one point 90% of the Rhubarb in europe came from here. Funny really there was an item on Today on Friday about imported exotic fruit and veg and this woman said she had been unable to source rhubarb that hadn't been imported from Holland!
Industria Omnia Vincit

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I bought some excellent local rhubarb from The Farm Shop on Roker Lane in Pudsey last week. I was driving past but it looked so good that I did a wheelie and stopped to buy some. Their lemon curd is to die for as well.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

rhubarb pie was the food hell on this morning's Saturday Kitchen. Mind you it was an ex actor (giving him the benefit of the doubt) from Eastenders (which I don't give the benefit of the doubt to)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

markhoppy

Post by markhoppy »

I'm not an anorak, but ..Rhubarb is native to Russia, hence its liking for the Yorkshire climate There are still lots of forcing sheds about - I live in East Ardsley, just across a field from some at the Auty farm. Jim Auty was still growing rhubarb commercially up until about five years ago when he retired from farming completely, and I believe his family had been rhubarb growers for at least four generations before him.At the height of the winter forcing season a train fully laden with rhubarb would leave Ardsley railway station bound for the London markets every morning. The soil and climate in this area are ideal for rhubarb - it will grow happily out in the fields and is only forced in the coldest months of winter, which means as the climate changes the forcing season is getting shorter and shorter.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Lots of rhubarb-y info at this website, run by Oldroyd's, one of the big local producers...www.yorkshirerhubarb.co.ukdsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.