Post Hill Farnley

The green spaces and places of Leeds
simonm

Post by simonm »

The land to your right as you walk along the track from Wickes used to be a victorian rubbish dump. I remember as a kid digging out the old bottles and things. Mate of mine found a pair of boots. I once found a stilton pot with lid and rusted metal ornate fastener, even had a dried up old piece of cheese still in it. Took it to school to show the teachers and they used it for a presentation on times gone by. Last I saw of that.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

There looks to be a little timekeeper's hut at the top on that old pic.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Certainly a lot less trees on that news footage than there were last time I was on it    

fred1935

Post by fred1935 »

simonm wrote: The land to your right as you walk along the track from Wickes used to be a victorian rubbish dump. I remember as a kid digging out the old bottles and things. Mate of mine found a pair of boots. I once found a stilton pot with lid and rusted metal ornate fastener, even had a dried up old piece of cheese still in it. Took it to school to show the teachers and they used it for a presentation on times gone by. Last I saw of that. I didn't know about the Rubbish Dump but I think it might have been the same place that I found a metal pot, quiet ornate but I think it might have been alloy. It was on a slope adjacent to the top of Post Hill, looking down on to an Italian Prisoner of War camp if my memory serves me correctly. Where it is in realtion to todays scene I have no idea.
EX, Goole. Leeds, Normanton, Adelaide, Normanton, Keighley.    Armley Lad

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

I cant believe I have lived in Farnley almost ten years now and knew absolutly nothing about this place, and me being a big motor sport fan as well !!!Where exactly can I find the hill and as they are still operating do they have a website at all???Just goes to show - you never know what might be right under your nose LOL

mutikonka

Post by mutikonka »

Post Hill was also an anti-aircraft post and later a POW camp during WW2.
yeahrightasif@ gmail.com

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Big N.... If you were driving past Wickes, with it on your left, you turn left at the traffic lights. Entance to Post Hill is then through a gate on your right. Walk through hundreds of yards of mud and puddles and it eventually brings you to Roman Hill

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Carrotol - I think I'm with you now but do you mean Wickes would be on my Right, not my Left and then turn left into Wood lane ??

simonm

Post by simonm »

BigN Aerial view of wickes, the big red cross. the red line is the entrance to post hill and path to the hill itself. The green elipse is the area of the old victorian rubbish dump.Hope that helps?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

BIG N wrote: I cant believe I have lived in Farnley almost ten years now and knew absolutly nothing about this place, and me being a big motor sport fan as well !!!Where exactly can I find the hill and as they are still operating do they have a website at all???Just goes to show - you never know what might be right under your nose LOL BigNTry West Leeds Motor Club's site: www.westleeds.co.ukCheersSi