Post Hill Farnley

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

It was the thread about the Beaulah that brought this to mind.I'm not really into motorbikes, but I remember once going to the motorbike trials there - I think it was called "Scrambling" at the time. This was in the sixties, it used to be on TV every Sunday and occasionally it was from Post Hill. Any other memories?
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Hi, Trojan,Yes, Post Hill was used in the 50s and 60s for "scrambling" (now known as motocross,) and regularly appeared on the BBC on Sundays - I believe the commentator was Murray Walker. Motorcycle trials is a completely different sport. Rather than a race, competitors have to negotiate (one at a time) "observed" sections where penalty points are given for leaving the section, falling off or putting your feet down, etc. The least points wins. It's more a sport of machine control than out-and-out speed and power. The bikes are totally different to motocross machines, being small and lightweight - they don't even have a seat!Trials are still held at Post Hill, the most recent being on Boxing Day.When I rode in a few trials there in the 70s, the hill itself was a steep track visible for miles. Looking at it on Google Earth now, it's hardly visible for trees. The top (steepest bit) was paved with stone cobbles. I think they held hill-climbs there before the war, but even in the 70s, it was fairly easy to ride all the way to the top on a trials bike.Cheers Si    

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

There was (is) "roman hill" as well, a crackers cobbled road (sort of!) straight up the side of the valley - up near the top it's virtually vertical from what I remember.When I was a kid, there was the remnants of some old car the beck at the bottom of the hill - my folks reckoned it was a hill-climbing car that crashed, but I guess it could have been dumped by joy-riders!!!Once saw some lads on mountain bikes go down the hill, I certainly never had the bottle on my BMX.The whole of post hill seemed to be an odd place, that long track in from down near Wickes, past the back of Harrisons tip (with the monster truck wheels in the undergrowth), through the that massive hill that we used to sledge down (when we had proper snow that seemed to last for days!!) and down into Cockbeck (or up to the Beulah). Behind the houses on Pudsey Road must've been some sort of old tip, as youcould dig all sorts of old bottles and crockery up there.Remember as a kid seeing some bloke up a tree with what looked like a knife, and trying to get my mate to hurry up along that track when he appeared 20 or 30 metres behind us. Bet there were some proper dody characters on post hill!Also seem to remember some plans to build a ski resort on it, probably sometime in the 80's. Wonder what happened to that plan!!

rikj

Post by rikj »

Just been looking at "A Portrait of Farnley" by the Farnley Local History Group and this is what they have to say."In 1925 Leeds Motor Club were looking for land on which to construct tracks for speed and freak climbing conditions. A Mr. Fred Langton "discovered" the hill, and the Yorkshire Evening Post arranged to purchase the land, and present it for the permanent use of the Leeds Motor Club, as a centre for motoring events.Officials of the club announced that as a compliment to the Yorkshire Evening Post the hill would be named Post Hill. The site was cleared of shrubs and small trees and there was ample stone to lay a rough track. The inclined length of the hill is 527ft and rises 200ft. The steepest gradient is 1 in 1.6On 24th July 1926 the hill was formally presented to the club by Mr. R. R. Whittaker, editor of the Evening Post. Sir Charles Wilson, MP, officially declared the hill open. There was an estimated crowd of 10,000 spectators when racing began"Having seen the track I'd been puzzled as to what it was. Have to say that my eyebrows nearly hit the ceiling when I saw that the hill is named after the Yorkshire Evening Post! What a great pub quiz question.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

rikj wrote: Just been looking at "AHaving seen the track I'd been puzzled as to what it was. Have to say that my eyebrows nearly hit the ceiling when I saw that the hill is named after the Yorkshire Evening Post! What a great pub quiz question. Wow! Who'd a thought it! Harrison's Quarry was known as Post Hill Quarry too!
Industria Omnia Vincit

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

I have just put a link to the Pathe news site and i did notice that it did have a film from Post Hill in the early part of the last century www.britishpathe.com/    

simonm

Post by simonm »

Gordon bennet, doesn't the place look so different now
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Must have taken some really big bold cajones to do the hill climb up that!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

rikj

Post by rikj »

Great stuff there billy and simon! As you say very different these days, though still as steep!    

simonm

Post by simonm »

I poo missen just stood at the top looking down the bloody thing!! Still, really getting overgrown these days.