Temple Newsam Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
urban rambler

Temple Newsam Park

Post by urban rambler »

Would anyone have photos of Temple Newsam Park over the years which they would be willing to share. Most of mine seem to have concentrated on the Rhododendrons over the years and can't find any for the Opera in the Park or steam engine rallies, although i have a few of the 2012 Olympic torch event.
Many thanks

Jann

Re: Temple Newsam Park

Post by Jann »

Have you looked in Leodis a photographic archive of Leeds to see if there’s any photos of Temple Newsman

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'd love to see a picture of the old pond that was behind the house to the west. It's now covered grass but there was definitely a pond there at some time in the 1980s/ early 1990s which for some unknown reason was removed.

There isn't much if any info online about it, but one of the tour guides at the house confirmed it had been there (to save my sanity and recollections!).

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Yes LS1 there was a rectangular pond and I recall it had fish in it, would take my daughter there on occasions
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Mon 18 Mar, 2024 10:17 am
Yes LS1 there was a rectangular pond and I recall it had fish in it, would take my daughter there on occasions
As a child I used to go fishing for sticklebacks in that stone lined pond. It was on the left when going up on a tram and getting close to Templenewsam. I don't remember if I ever paddled in the pond though I recall it was not deep. I've not been to the area for over 30 years so don't know what is there now but I think it was covered over and became a sports ground.
One other thing I particularly recall was that nearish the House there was what seemed to be a small well-like object (it may or may not have had some steps) that as a kid I could go into to get to frogs that always came each year. Innocent times! :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow: This is where the pond was, now filled in and grassed over, seems it would have being square not rectangular as I first thought.
Attachments
Temple Newsam pond.jpg
Temple Newsam pond.jpg (389.8 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Post deleted due to quoting error.
Last edited by Leodian on Mon 18 Mar, 2024 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Mon 18 Mar, 2024 4:47 pm
:arrow: This is where the pond was, now filled in and grassed over, seems it would have being square not rectangular as I first thought.
That the pond was there means my recollection of where it was is embarrassingly very wrong as I've no recollection of a pond there! :oops:

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leo the pond you were talking about is where todays car park is and was called Lawns Pond. The sports track was there in the earlys 50s as we used to go there with Osmondthorpe School

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'm sure I remember it being circular, and just to the left of the rectangular area on buffaloskinner's picture above.

I was very young so could be incorrect.

See attached for where I thought it was!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (201.21 KiB) Viewed 535 times