Victoria Pit (Quarry) Manston, Crossgates

The green spaces and places of Leeds
AR64

Victoria Pit (Quarry) Manston, Crossgates

Post by AR64 »

Unfortunately I cant find a search facility in the forum to see if anything is posted about this topic already, so my apologies in advance if its covered somewhere else or its not in the correct section.

I am trying to find information regarding the Victoria Pit in Manston but more specifically the Victoria Quarry Trust Society that was set up sometime around the 1960's (very approximate) to protect the land around the old quarry, potentially from further development.

My understanding is that residents of Manston Way and Manston Crescent in Crossgates formed a trust to secure the land around the old quarry and that the land held in trust was then allowed to be used by the home owners for their own enjoyment providing they maintained it and also did not put any buildings on the land. This effectively extended the use of the gardens by roughly 60%.

The reasons I ask is that my in-laws recently passed away and the deeds of the house officially only show a small garden and the remainder we believe being utilised as per the rules of the Trust Society. However, we can not find any details of the Trust, official documents etc and have only been able to find a membership certificate and some brief rules as to what was allowed etc. My in-laws lived in their house for 50+ years and my wife and her brother always remember the garden extending right to the end, near the centre of the quarry site. There is still an area of land beyond the top of the garden which was always referred to as "The Quarry" and they remember this is where the annual community bonfire was held on 5th November.

I assume this should have been arranged legally and that there are certain conditions been laid out as part of the trust as to what the residents and also the trust committee are able to do with the land.

Have attached a Google Maps satellite image of the area showing the old quarry site.

If anybody has any documentation relating to the society then it would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
A
Attachments
Victoria Quarry.jpg
Victoria Quarry.jpg (107.72 KiB) Viewed 9107 times

tyke bhoy

Re: Victoria Pit (Quarry) Manston, Crossgates

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcome AR64. Yes sorry the site lacks a built in search facility. Most search engines can restrict to secretleeds.com
The one now synonymous with Internet searching only finds two threads mentioning Victoria pit. Both are related to it being a pit rather than its afterlife. Maybe someone can help but the contributors with most knowledge of the area have been inactive on the forum for several years.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

AR, If the land has been maintained and used by your in-laws for more than 10 years surely they (or their estate) can claim ownership under Adverse Possession ( sometimes called Squatter's Rights). Obviously you would need to consult a solicitor.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

AR64

Post by AR64 »

Thanks for the replies. I have found reference to Victoria Pit on several old maps and also the fact there were 3 pits in the area, which were all linked to the main Leeds to Selby rail line, so found it very interesting. As a former Crossgates lad, I went to Manston school and also sang for many years as a young boy in Manston choir until my voice broke :-)

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea: :idea: Try emailing Leeds Secret Library who may be able to help and who have lots of oddball stuff at [email protected]

and their website https://secretlibraryleeds.net/
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow:
Attachments
Manston Pits.JPG
Manston Pits.JPG (93.03 KiB) Viewed 9034 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

AR64 wrote:
Mon 15 Feb, 2021 1:34 pm
Unfortunately I cant find a search facility in the forum to see if anything is posted about this topic already, so my apologies in advance if its covered somewhere else or its not in the correct section. I am trying to find information regarding the Victoria Pit in Manston
Many Thanks
A
Victoria Pit is a coal mine, and the developers built around it as you can see from the ariel shot.

Anyone interested, go to the nearby Farm Road and you will find another coal mine with banked up spoil, amongst the estate housing. This one is fenced off. I guess developers would not be allowed to do this nowadays, and would have to cap or fill in the shaft