Allotments in Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
pudseydeb

Allotments in Leeds

Post by pudseydeb »

Please help. I am researching hidden allotments in Leeds. I know that on some council estates there were allotments enclosed within a square of council owned housing. I have seen a photo that prove this. It was taken from a tower block. Unfortunately I have lost the picture. Does anyone have a copy of it or proof that these hidden sites existed. Thank you.

buffaloskinner

Re: Allotments in Leeds

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

pudseydeb

Post by pudseydeb »

Thank You I have looked at Leodis and Flickr. Going to search via google image. Do you know of any other sites on the internet that may have images of Leeds.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Somewhere in my files I have lists of old allotments in Seacroft Crossgates Manston and surrounding areas, but no photographs. Should I find them for you, or do you only want photographs.

pudseydeb

Post by pudseydeb »

Thank you I would appreciate that, no hurry as I will not be researching the seacroft area until next year.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I found it, when looking for something else!
Allotments
• Barwick Road at Ashfield Terrace
• Between Hansby Avenue and York Road
• Seacroft Village Green next to the old Vicarage
• Sutton Estate off Sutton Crescent and behind Collin Road
• The Nookin Seacroft Village
• York Road behind the Seacroft Methodist Chapel
• Between Redmire Drive and St James Approach
• Between Inglewood Drive and South Parkway
• East of Wyke Beck south of Easterly Road

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

pudseydeb wrote:
Sun 05 Jul, 2020 6:20 am
Please help. I am researching hidden allotments in Leeds. I know that on some council estates there were allotments enclosed within a square of council owned housing. I have seen a photo that prove this. It was taken from a tower block. Unfortunately I have lost the picture. Does anyone have a copy of it or proof that these hidden sites existed. Thank you.
Just for clarification - Are you only interested in the type of "hidden" allotments you describe, surrounded by council houses? Also are you only interested in allotments where there is a photo ( past or present)?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

pudseydeb

Post by pudseydeb »

Hi At the moment I am looking for a specfic photograph of an allotment site enclosed within a square of council houses. The estate is not yet fully built and the photograph was taken from a tower block. I have lost the link to it, but I have a feeling that I first saw it on here. I am interested in other Leeds allotments and I hope to start researching them next year, after I have finished this section I am working on now. Thank you for your interest.