Hunslet - cricket and rugby ground at Woodhouse Hill

The green spaces and places of Leeds
paulslo

Hunslet - cricket and rugby ground at Woodhouse Hill

Post by paulslo »

There was a sports ground at Woodhouse Hill where Hunslet Cricket Club and the Hunslet rugby team were based in the late nineteenth-century. Cricket was played there from the 1860's at least, including one county match for Yorkshire. Hunslet rugby shared the ground from 1883 to February 1888, before moving to Parkside.

In terms of visual records this ground is like a ghost. I have been unable to find any images of it - photographs or drawings, and it does not even appear on a map! (The few ordnance survey maps of the time either pre-date its existence, or post-date it. For example, one such map was made in 1889, but by that time, the ground had already gone - having been converted into a bowling green, with houses built on some of its other parts.)

I've checked out cricketing and Hunslet rugby sources, but haven't found a dicky-bird. And the distinguished Goldthorpe and Gilston rugby families have nothing in their personal archives either. The archive of the Thoresby Society also appears to have nothing relevant.

Surely, somewhere, there must be an image of the ground - perhaps on an old postcard. There were some cards issued by the Baines company of Bradford featuring pictures of Hunslet players of the time, but the background scenery in the pictures is apparently imaginary as it is also used in relation to players from other teams.

If any 'Secret Leeds' folk know of an image of the Woodhouse Hill ground, it would be wonderful to see it posted.This is one Leeds secret that needs to be revealed. Spread the word...It would be a real discovery!

Cheers,
Paul

iansmithofotley

Re: Hunslet - cricket and rugby ground at Woodhouse Hill

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Paul,

There is a chap called Stuart Sheard, who writes about rugby history (both codes), who might be able to help you. Here is his website:

http://www.dropkickbooks.co.uk/search/l ... y%20League

Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi paulslo :).

Sorry but I don't know of any photos but your thread intrigued me so I looked for related information. You are probably already aware of it so I hope you don't mind me posting the following link to a Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhouse ... und,_Leeds
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

paulslo

Post by paulslo »

Thanks for the suggestions! I was already aware of the wiki entry - though someone has added a photo to it since I last saw the site. As the photo only shows the motorway that now cuts across the original ground, it's not what I'm looking for.
I'll contact Stuart Sheard.
Thanks again,
Paul

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

paulslo wrote:
Sat 21 Dec, 2019 11:31 pm
There was a sports ground at Woodhouse Hill where Hunslet Cricket Club and the Hunslet rugby team were based in the late nineteenth-century. Cricket was played there from the 1860's at least, including one county match for Yorkshire. Hunslet rugby shared the ground from 1883 to February 1888, before moving to Parkside.

In terms of visual records this ground is like a ghost. I have been unable to find any images of it - photographs or drawings, and it does not even appear on a map! (The few ordnance survey maps of the time either pre-date its existence, or post-date it. For example, one such map was made in 1889, but by that time, the ground had already gone - having been converted into a bowling green, with houses built on some of its other parts.)

I've checked out cricketing and Hunslet rugby sources, but haven't found a dicky-bird. And the distinguished Goldthorpe and Gilston rugby families have nothing in their personal archives either. The archive of the Thoresby Society also appears to have nothing relevant.

Surely, somewhere, there must be an image of the ground - perhaps on an old postcard. There were some cards issued by the Baines company of Bradford featuring pictures of Hunslet players of the time, but the background scenery in the pictures is apparently imaginary as it is also used in relation to players from other teams.

If any 'Secret Leeds' folk know of an image of the Woodhouse Hill ground, it would be wonderful to see it posted.This is one Leeds secret that needs to be revealed. Spread the word...It would be a real discovery!

Cheers,
Paul

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Test

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

test

The Parksider