Thorner Fishing Pond?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Shadwellian

Thorner Fishing Pond?

Post by Shadwellian »

Hi there everyone, just wondering if anyone had any information on the fishing pond in Thorner that's linked to Thorner beck? Is it still in operation? If not what happened to it? Is there fish there? What's its history? Who owns it? Etc, etc. Any information would be much appreciated.

warringtonrhino

Re: Joke of the Week

Post by warringtonrhino »

I assume the admin experts will relocate this post to an appropriate location.
My brother who has lived in LS14 for 65 years and has been angling 3-4 days a week for the last 50 years assures me that there is no public fish pond/lake in Thorner. There are ponds and lakes in the area but none are available for public fishing.

tyke bhoy

Re: Thorner Fishing Pond?

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcome Shadwellian. I have spit the thread as WR suggested and although it doesn't mention Ponds I think Parks, Fields and Woods may be appropriate. I am unfamiliar with the locality but google maps doesn't really suggest any Ponds in the vicinity of Thorner Beck while it is so named. There appears to be a pond adjacent to the same beck while it is named Mill Beck and although it is unclear where Thorner Beck becomes Bramham Beck there are several ponds in the beck arround an area described as Wothersom. Hopefully this link shows the google map of the area https://goo.gl/maps/besbFGqHYZZjmS1K7 WR's brother appears to be the expert though
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

The ponds on Mill Beck were part of Thorner sewage works, they are now in the gardens of private houses.
Seacroft Lodge (Wetherby Road) is an power company HQ the lake is on private land but can be accessed by public right of way footpaths.
The ponds to the north of Thorner Lane was Jacob Aquaculture, a fish farm, not for anglers!
The lake on Milner Beck at Wothersome is the western end of Bramham park it is on private land but can be accessed by public right of way footpaths.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The OS 1893 map does show an area of water marked "Fish Pond" to the east of Thorner station,halfway between thorner & Scarcroft. this is possibly what is meant
map c1893 showing fish pond near thorner.jpg
map c1893 showing fish pond near thorner.jpg (272.51 KiB) Viewed 15203 times

warringtonrhino

Yes chemimike it is the one I described (Seacroft Lodge) it has always been in the grounds of a private house and the public could walk past but not stop and catch fish. It is still there, so is the warden!!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks ChemiMike unless I'm much mistaken it's the one on Scarcroft Beck from the google maps link I posted. I'll take WR's word for it that it is patrolled.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/