Crossflatts Park, digging for victory

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Carr

Crossflatts Park, digging for victory

Post by Carr »

lower down the sloop from the football field it is possible to see ghost marks of what was possibly digging for victory plots. You have to go at the right time when the grass has been cut but there are lines with 90 degree angles on them. They don’t look the same size as an an allotment plot so does anyone know what caused them.
Hunslet born and bred boy to man

TABBYCAT

Re: Crossflatts Park, digging for victory

Post by TABBYCAT »

Mentioned here on a very old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58&start=70

The picture is not very good as for some reason photo's posted at that time seem to be badly screwed up when viewed now,possibly when the forum software was updated I would guess.

Carr

Post by Carr »

Thank for that, the marks are regular but I would say they would be to small for a standard sized plot.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Not having moved to Beeston until 1946 I don't remember anything much below the football pitch but having phoned my Pal Ken Elmy who lived all his life in Firth Mount Beeston he says that during the War they used to pull up swedes and knew them raw which is just what we used to do after football on East end park walking home up York Road.
It might sound quite revolting but I can assure you that when you are hungry you will eat anything.
Kens memory seems quite clear on the area below the Football pitch.
We lived in Barkly Parade and in the next Street was a family called Carr, in relation ?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I kissed my first girl Myfanwy Knight who had been sent up from Cardiff away from the Bombing to a relatives Fish and chip shop at the end of our Street We walked up to the Bowling green shelter and I was in heaven. Seventy years later I am married to a Welsh Lass.

Carr

Post by Carr »

Thanks for the info mate and sorry I’m not a Carr I’m a Topp. When the conditions are right I will get a picture