The best graveyard in Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

simonm wrote: good call Carrotol. Or the one at farnley Park. Very overgrown and atmospheric! Ooh i got married at St michaels in Farnley Park, it's not so much overgrown now Simon but there are some great overhanging tree's that create a dark, sort of twilit space (wow i came over all poetic then!!)And i agree about the one at 5 Lane Ends Carrotol, lots of huge tombstones.Anyway here's a couple of interesting one's she might be interested in DSCO:Churwell Hill, on the right as you're going up a bit further up than the "top oil" (there's one for the Churwellians amongst us) there can be seen from the top of a double decker bus a walled off graveyard with about 4 gravestones in it, very small and cannot be seen from the street. I think there is a plaque on it now saying Daffil Cemetery.I work for the Yorkshire Bank in town, not the big brown building on Merrion Way but the red brick building on Wade Lane just past the old registry office. The building is on the site of the old Brunswick Methodist Chapel and as soon as you walk in through the front gates there is a Cenotaph to the men of Brunswick who fell in the wars. This to me is great, how many offices in Leeds City Centre have a cenotaph in their grounds? But perhaps more relevant to this thread in amongst the bushes when you look through the railings there are 2 old gravestones. I don't know if there were originally others that were removed during building or not but i'd love to see whats written on them.Both of these last 2 are interesting to me because they are so small.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

They are even the original railings from the chapel! There are apparently people still under there!!! Spooky!!