The best graveyard in Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
LS1

Post by LS1 »

What is the score with St Johns Roundhay. Looked like it was REALLY overgrown and the church closed. Is this so? If so whata shame...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Graveyard? Atmosphere? Leeds?well this ticks all the boxes for me!!(St Mark's, Woodhouse.)http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobar/4541 ... t-1159997/
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

That is a good one Drapsey... You have to be carefull in there tho cos it's a well used shootin up den for junkies in the overgrown bit. Silly buggers pity they screw up there life before they've even seen it
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

St Mathews in Chapel allerton. It used to be one of the eeriest places I had ever been in. Real dark and atmospheric. The entrance I always used was on Harrogate Rd, just before the old police station. I'm sure the lady would be well impressed with that one?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simonm wrote: St Mathews in Chapel allerton. It used to be one of the eeriest places I had ever been in. Real dark and atmospheric. The entrance I always used was on Harrogate Rd, just before the old police station. I'm sure the lady would be well impressed with that one?simon,isn't the old hanging tree in that grave yard at chapel allerton,the actual tree that was used for many years is up there somewhere,i'm sure...no wonder it's eerie if it is!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

St Johns at Five Lanes End, Wortley. Think it's on Dixon Lane but not sure. Overgrown and dingy (lots of trees to keep it dark), even during the daytime.

simonm

Post by simonm »

good call Carrotol. Or the one at farnley Park. Very overgrown and atmospheric!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

St Michaels church Headingley is populated by the largest rats I've ever seen.Constantly well fed by students discarding unfinished fast food meals.Might be an idea to tuck ones trouser legs into ones socks.Or better still,try somewhere else.

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

Real shame that so many graveyards have been pretty much abandoned & left to the devices of 'the others'... was at our family plot yesterday, in its stunning setting surrounded by seriously old monuments, the guys were out cutting the grass & generally tidying up. For all it's in a small County Durham village, tucked away, & our (large) plot is in the older part, it's really well maintained. Took some 'photos I was really pleased with a couple of years ago, but as it's nowt to do with Leeds obviously I wouldn't dream of digressing any further ;-)

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Thanks guys - sterling work! This should set her off on a few urban adventures (avoiding rats and junkies hopefully.)Might have to check out the one at Harehills myself, sounds, erm, 'atmospheric'.Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.