Temple Newsam railway

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Croggy

Post by Croggy »

I'm looking for information on the minature railway that used to be in the park - (located near the car park near the lodge entrance gates).I believe it was in use until the late 60s/early 70s?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Have a look in the local history Library in Leeds Centre next to thje town hall. There is a bookin there that details all the history of tha Park. forget its name but it is yellowand fairly new!Or go have a look at the photo's inthe cafe there. they are pretty good and informative.

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

Croggy wrote: I'm looking for information on the minature railway that used to be in the park - (located near the car park near the lodge entrance gates).I believe it was in use until the late 60s/early 70s? There was also a miniture railway which ran around Roundhay Park up to the sixtiesjimbo

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Thanks Jimbo, yes I remember that one, and some of the track is stil visible, I think , near the small lake. There are also lines at Kirkstall Abbey ...I'm interested in info on the 'Tempsy' one though, as I don't remember this, although some friends do ...

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Thanks also to LS1 - will do that next time I'm in Leeds.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Whoops I have just looked at my post. I meant golden acre part for the book and the cafe! Still though the library in town does have some info. on Temple Newsam and the railway. Think it's in one of those little red/ green boxes with pamphlets in them.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Jimbo5553 wrote: Croggy wrote: I'm looking for information on the minature railway that used to be in the park - (located near the car park near the lodge entrance gates).I believe it was in use until the late 60s/early 70s? There was also a miniture railway which ran around Roundhay Park up to the sixtiesjimbo The Roundhay park miniature railway lasted till the early 1990s ( I remember taking my eldest on it when she was a toddler and she was born in 1988 ). It ran from the upper Lake to the woods near the folly. I believe it was run by a retired guy as a hobby, but when he died no-one took it over and it was soon too vandalised to be saved.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Croggy wrote: I'm looking for information on the minature railway that used to be in the park - (located near the car park near the lodge entrance gates).I believe it was in use until the late 60s/early 70s? Stumbling on to this site quite by accident and into a sudden flashback situation!I loved taking rides on the railway when very wee (in the late 1960's). It was located in the North Plantation (to your right when you came into the grounds from Whitkirk) and backed onto the then relatively new houses on Templegate Avenue. I recall that the locomotives were really realistic, were approximately 3 feet long and hauled trains of two or three carriages. The train ran on an elevated track which allowed the driver and passengers to sit with their legs straddled the track (bike style). I have vague recollections that there was a pretend tunnel frabicated from a short length of ARMCO culvert covered in turf and the track running in a loop through the silver birch woods.

liits

Post by liits »

The miniture railway was owned and operated by the Leeds SMEE [Society of Modle & Experimental Engineers]. It still in operation having moved to Eggborough Power Station. Until recent months the society had loads of info and pics on their website but, for some reason the website is down at the moment.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

liits wrote: The miniture railway was owned and operated by the Leeds SMEE [Society of Modle & Experimental Engineers]. It still in operation having moved to Eggborough Power Station. Until recent months the society had loads of info and pics on their website but, for some reason the website is down at the moment. Thank you for that information.It's interesting to hear it is still in operation, not too far away.I'll keep trying their website. Cheers.