Lost Cemeteries

The green spaces and places of Leeds
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Pablo Fanque and his wife were both buried there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhouse_Lane_Cemetery

Caron

Post by Caron »

Thanks, Geordie-exile     

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

There is a graveyard at the junction of Church Street, Chapel Hill and Bank Street in Morley. I believe it is Morley Old Chapel graveyard and is very old.    

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

majorhoundii wrote: There is a graveyard at the junction of Church Street, Chapel Hill and Bank Street in Morley. I believe it is Morley Old Chapel graveyard and is very old.     Morley seems to have loads of old graveyards and churches. Very historical and interesting place.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Caron wrote: Maybe someone can help me?I spent some time last night reading up on St George's field and it mentioned the circus owner, Pablo Fanque, (of Sgt Pepper fame) and his wife.Were they both buried there?Also, I was saddened to read comments on the Leodis site re family who had found out family members had been burried there and naturally, their graves were gone.Didn't the council try at least to find any living relatives of the deceased? I was rather disgusted at the lack of respect shown by Leeds council. I honestly can say i dont think they did do there best to find any living relatives, my gt uncle Eric was buried in there with his maternal grandparents and aunt, and his brother (my grandmothers brother ) never was told, my gt uncle (Erics brother ) only died 2010. when i chased up the univeristy, they did help me out an awful lot, but they couldnt tell me where the headstone is now, they do have some in storage in a museum, stacked up, but they were not forth coming in trying to find which one was which. quite sad really, ive also other family members buried in there also Weenie

Caron

Post by Caron »

Sorry to hear that, Weenie. I can't believe how they just did it. If it were a family member of mine I would be really angry. I looked around the place some years ago with my sister and we didn't know the history of the place so it seemed rather odd but course, having educated myself on St Georges's field I now understand. I said to my sister that making the stones into a pathway was wrong and bang out of order. I refused to walk on them! What about compensation for all the upset? Tell you, it really disgusts me.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is some now long ongoing work going on at St John the Evangelist's Church off New Briggate. On seeing a gate open I popped in on March 28 2012 to look at the church grounds (I was not sure if I was allowed to but there was nobody to stop me to tell me otherwise). There are many old grave stones (based on what epitaphs are still legible) used as paving flags in the church ground, so it will have been a cemetery at one time. Not a lost cemetery as such but no longer used (as far as I know) for burials for a long time.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Si

Post by Si »

tilly wrote: There was a grave vard on your left has you turned on to Bankhouse Lane from the Pudey end.Its now a cluster of new houses, there is no way they would build on top of bodies this goes for any grave yard.     That was the burial ground of the old Mount Zion Chapel, Tilly. Don't know what they did with the remains. Incidentally, there are houses built on top of the mill pond on the map too.
Attachments
__TFMF_oczrronldivhtc451io3lu55_e8127182-2dd9-4120-b7fe-5ee77d5df47c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oczrronldivhtc451io3lu55_e8127182-2dd9-4120-b7fe-5ee77d5df47c_0_main.jpg (260.16 KiB) Viewed 2792 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

I remember many years ago Hunslet Parish Church had a large grave yard to the right of the church.A fence was put round so you could not see inside and every thing was removed were to i dont know.Just a thought if you own a plot how do you stand if they say they are going to remove all the graves.?    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Leodian wrote: There is some now long ongoing work going on at St John the Evangelist's Church off New Briggate. On seeing a gate open I popped in on March 28 2012 to look at the church grounds (I was not sure if I was allowed to but there was nobody to stop me to tell me otherwise). There are many old grave stones (based on what epitaphs are still legible) used as paving flags in the church ground, so it will have been a cemetery at one time. Not a lost cemetery as such but no longer used (as far as I know) for burials for a long time. Well spotted, Watson! My nan was married there in 1924. Makes you wonder just how many gravestones are being used as footpaths. I can't say I like the idea.My great uncle is buried on the Somme battlefield (Mill Rd, Thiepval) and due to the tunnels under the cemetery his and other gravestones had eventually to be laid flat but you can't walk on them, they aren't a footpath!!As more and more people research their family history I can't help but wonder just how many will not find their families graves? My nan bought a "plot" at Lawnswood many years ago (cremation not burial). Lawnswood have told me that because it was purchased before a certain year it is our plot forever. Sadly there are no family left to visit and tend the plot as I'm the only living family member and live in Dorset. I did wonder if I contacted them and said it was no longer needed, would they re sell the plot? Bet they would.