Lost Cemeteries

The green spaces and places of Leeds
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Big N, In fac the Jewish Community of Leeds is now around 7,000. It peaked at 30,000 in the 1920's and 1930's.Yeah the other one at New Farnlety is the one you mention. Always up fora pint, and work in Leeds!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wrong thread
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

weenie

Post by weenie »

i was once told that part of the Gamble Hill estate was once a graveyard. before you are rant i do know it was also some rhubarb fields.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The old Woodhouse Cemetery is behind the University student flats on Clarendon Road (east end, formerly Reservoir Street).The gravestones have all been laid flat and made into footpaths I think.    Despite living in Leeds (and being born other side of The Moor) I didn't know of its existence till I examined the grave of some of my ancestors in Bridlington. On the side of the kerbstone was carved "and Wlliam Y***** aged 2 years interred at Leeds." As they had lived in Carlton Hill this explains it - the little chap had passed in 1889, two months before my Dad was born - poor Gran, we can't imagine what they had to endure in those days.I found the little lad's entry in the register, viewable by appointment in the University libraries, but although I located the area where all those buried on his date and just after, no mention on a stone.This confirms the awful practice of infants being simply buried with a stranger if necessary. Very sad, and at least some things have improved to grant a bit of dignity.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

When I was a young lad in the early 60's my dad drove us past a railway embankment somewhere in Leeds which appeared to be covered with randomly placed grave stones.He said that they were the graves of victims of the flu or diptheria epidemic of the early 20's, and had to be buried quickly.Was he right or was he bulls**ting me ?Where could this have been?CheersAndy

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Andy,see previous on this thread.it is the cemetery opposite "The palace" pub and belonging to Leeds Parish Church.The reason the graves on the embankment appear to be scattered randomly is because in fact they were placed back to reflect where they had been in the graveyard when the bodies were removed.They reflect where they would have been if the embankment was flat!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Andy, your Dad was certainly "having you on" about the 1920s - these stones are very very old indeed, and fascinating to read.I believe many of the deceased were victims of the diseases of early times.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

BLAKEY wrote: Andy, your Dad was certainly "having you on" about the 1920s - these stones are very very old indeed, and fascinating to read.I believe many of the deceased were victims of the diseases of early times.     Having said that Blakey, allegedly the area on the corner just in front of the embankment where the gravestones are was a burial ground for Cholera victims. I'm not sure exactly which outbreak it was but I was told that they would never dig it up in case the germs became exposed again! Very much doubt this is true but it adds to the intrigue. So there is some slight relevence in what Andy says albeit slightly misconstrued. Just another example of how things get lost generation to generation - makes me think of a certain skulls legend......!

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

A few years ago I was mooching about on Czar Street (just off Bridge Road, near the Holbeck railway sheds) and stumbled upon some gravestones directly behind the houses on Balm Walk. My mam used to live on Balm Walk in the 1930s, so I asked her about this burial ground, but she didn't even know it was there. I just got hold of a 1906 map of Holbeck and, sure enough, there's a burial ground marked right where I found it. Anyone know anything?

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

BIG N wrote: No guys its not the Jewish cemetery - thats on the left as you leave Leeds, between the A62 and the M621 - this one is on the right and is on land that is up on the hill behind the electrical wholesaler Ring - unless of course that was Jewish too, but the barrier is still padlocked across the track leading up there. Take a look at it from this shot - looks like an awful lot of graves crammed in there to me.http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.77298 ... =0&src=ggl I was on that part of Gelderd Road just recently (May 2009) and can confirm that the way is still barred and the warning notice is still in position. I'm going to have a walk up there one day soon. I'll take my camera.