Friends Garden next to Canal Gardens, Roundhay Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 39 of the 'April 2014 LS7 LS8 LS17 North Leeds Life' free magazine there is an article titled 'The Friends Garden - a Hidden Gem in Roundhay Park' (the article may be in editions covering other parts of Leeds). In the article it states:-"One of the lesser known gems in Roundhay Park is the Friends' Garden, located just inside the small gateway into the Park from Old Park Road and behind Canal Gardens. It was planned and created by Friends of Roundhay Park (FoRP) and is now maintained by a small dedicated team...officially opened in 2005".Until I read the article I had not heard of the Friends Garden and had not even spotted it whenever I've been to the Canal Gardens area. I have added a satellite view taken from Google Earth that shows what I think will be the Friends Garden as the small circular feature next to Old Park Road and to the left of Canal Gardens (the water in the latter is obvious to the bottom). It looks like Friends Garden could be a nice place for a quiet rest on a pleasant day. The Google Earth image marks Tropical World incorrectly as it is in the buildings complex above where it is marked.
Attachments
FriendsGardenGoogleEarth.jpg
FriendsGardenGoogleEarth.jpg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: On page 39 of the 'April 2014 LS7 LS8 LS17 North Leeds Life' free magazine there is an article titled 'The Friends Garden - a Hidden Gem in Roundhay Park' (the article may be in editions covering other parts of Leeds). In the article it states:-"One of the lesser known gems in Roundhay Park is the Friends' Garden, located just inside the small gateway into the Park from Old Park Road and behind Canal Gardens. It was planned and created by Friends of Roundhay Park (FoRP) and is now maintained by a small dedicated team...officially opened in 2005".Until I read the article I had not heard of the Friends Garden and had not even spotted it whenever I've been to the Canal Gardens area. I have added a satellite view taken from Google Earth that shows what I think will be the Friends Garden as the small circular feature next to Old Park Road and to the left of Canal Gardens (the water in the latter is obvious to the bottom). It looks like Friends Garden could be a nice place for a quiet rest on a pleasant day. The Google Earth image marks Tropical World incorrectly as it is in the buildings complex above where it is marked. I'm fairly sure that the circular area on that photo was known as the 'Rose Garden' and could be accessed from the main gardens through an archway.That said, it's entirely possible that the name has been changed!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya raveydavey. In some information that I've just found it seems that what I thought was Friends Garden is Coronation Garden and that the Friends Garden is immediately beyond Canal Garden but hidden in the view by trees. The area immediately on the left when entering Roundhay Park through the main gates on Princes Avenue is the Old Rose Garden. It is all a bit confusing. I think my mind needs some gardening leave!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote: http://www.forp.co.uk/friends-garden.html Thanks for that link Brunel. I'm still somewhat unsure of exactly where the Friends Garden bit is, so I shall have to go there at some stage to find out! That the area was "the site of a small zoo demolished many years ago" is intriguing.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The most exciting way in there (for young'uns) is into the canal via Old Pk Rd then immediately left over the stream and up into it.http://goo.gl/maps/b2A4cyou can filter through into the box garden bit and to tropical world.I miss the Phoenix Bar tho'.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: The most exciting way in there (for young'uns) is into the canal via Old Pk Rd then immediately left over the stream and up into it.http://goo.gl/maps/b2A4cyou can filter through into the box garden bit and to tropical world.I miss the Phoenix Bar tho'. Ta for that Jogon. I should be able to find it now whenever I next get round to going there (I've already had my earlyish in the year visit when the crocuses (crocii?) were out).As for the stream I don't recall seeing one there but the ground is usually very wet when going to Canal Gardens from an entry near the Princes Avenue main gates (I seem to recall that the stream has been mentioned in the past on SL). I don't know of the Phoenix Bar, so further proof that I actually really know little of the area even though I should!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

LeoI started to type ( but then deleted) that I'd missed the crocusses earlier this year.The Phoenix Bar used to be to the right of entrance to the Mansion (looked at from the car park). I think there was a bar/pub in the Mansion proper but we used to like to sit outside the phoenix enjoying the view...thirty + years ago.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: LeoI started to type ( but then deleted) that I'd missed the crocusses earlier this year.The Phoenix Bar used to be to the right of entrance to the Mansion (looked at from the car park). I think there was a bar/pub in the Mansion proper but we used to like to sit outside the phoenix enjoying the view...thirty + years ago. Crocusses and a bus in a photo that I took on February 26 2014.
Attachments
005R.jpg
005R.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 3754 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ta LeoHere's a 1970's shot from Eric Miles at the old boat house, he's also got some of the fixed fairground and the cricket pavilion at R'hay Parkhttps://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/13540029853_0e2a69ef4a.jpghttps://www.flickr.com/photos/75850763@N03/