Woodhouse Feast / Armley Feast etc.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Footy

Post by Footy »

Armley Feast memories.The Wurlitzer a 2/3/4 seater couch that spun around at just the right G-Force so all the loose change came out of your pockets and dropped down the back. When it stopped the 'Feasties' wouldn't let you fish it out, that was one of their perks!The Speedway..'It's a long ride it's a fast ride, the louder you scream the faster I go' With 'Yellow River' blaring out full blast.And well before Damian Hirst came up with the idea. For 6d you could place a piece of wood, about 4x4 inches, on to a turn table start it spinning and drop coloured paint onto it making interesting patterns.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Woo-hoo!    SCrrrrrrrrrrrrrrream if you wanna go faster. Ah the good old days. It's funny but me n the family were just talking about this. We called the guys feasties which would mean that if it was a fair they would then be called fairies.I also remember the rides in the Queens hall. One particular incident on 'the whip' sticks in my mind. One of the feasties was stood on the front of the carriage and he fell off. I can still remember how it felt as our carriage bumped over him (twice) before they managed to stop the ride.Jan, you weren't the only one sad enough to stand on the bars on the speedway. We think it's sad now but how cool do you think we looked to the younger kids and the lads back then. And doesn't certain music bring back the memories of eyeing up those gorgeous????????? feasties and hanging round all night with enough money for two rides

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

simong

Post by simong »

Yeadon Feast took place on Albert Square (where I live) apparently until the late 70s/early 80s. It was a car park until the City Council built sheltered accomodation on it. There are some pictures of it on Leodis, like this one: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLI've only lived in the town for four years but I have deeds dating back to the original land purchase and building of the houses in the 1870s - the Feast precedes that so there must have been the same mutterings back then as there were in the early 80s!

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Does anyone know what happened to Armley feast this year? Thay put posters up advertising its opening on 30th August. On 29th Aug I saw two trucks there but nothing else ever arrived. Is it a case of Leeds Lost Fair? Maybe they drove up Town Street, saw there were no shops left, only takeaways, and assumed they had come to the wrong place

stevief

Post by stevief »

simong wrote: Yeadon Feast took place on Albert Square (where I live) apparently until the late 70s/early 80s. It was a car park until the City Council built sheltered accomodation on it. There are some pictures of it on Leodis, like this one: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLI've only lived in the town for four years but I have deeds dating back to the original land purchase and building of the houses in the 1870s - the Feast precedes that so there must have been the same mutterings back then as there were in the early 80s! That's across the road from The New Inn.Finest pint of John Smiths for miles around!

skippy

Post by skippy »

anyone remember hunslet feast ? it was on hunslet moor on either side of the road it used to start on the last day of july for 2 week it was great with the speedway waltzers and the shamrock and all the side stalls the brandy snap was my favourite and the hotdogs i can smell them now!!!
brenda littlejohn

stevief

Post by stevief »

What's happened to JanCees messages?Come to think of it,what's happened to JanCee?

Priestly House

Post by Priestly House »

stevief wrote: What's happened to JanCees messages? I was wondering that missen. Have heard from the member who introduced me on here that there has been a purge of certain "disruptive" members recently. Was JanCee one of them? But to delete the opening post on a thread seems a tad drastic, not to mention confusing? Anyroad - Woodhouse feast was ace in the 60's, tho my age addled memory seems to bring up images of a quagmire, as it allus rained?Definately the biggest and best feast in Leeds, back then....except for the gangs who turned up every year for a rumble....

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

stevief wrote: What's happened to JanCees messages?Come to think of it,what's happened to JanCee? I think she spat her dummy out over this nonsense we had over certain members recently and she's taken her bat and ball (and her posts) home!!! I miss her!
Love a Landrover