Seasonal Wild Fruits, Berries and Nuts in and around Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Continuing on from my earlier post, there are now tons of ripened blackberries and raspberries by the footpath that runs alongside Cock Beck. There are a few apple trees that look ready to harvest too.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

We walked past a few apples trees in Temple Newsam at the weekend, but they didn't seem to have many apples on them.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I saw a chap today picking apples off a tree on Whitehall Road, Wortley. I'm not sure whether there's just the one tree near the little footpath/bridge over the railway to the rec. ground or if there are more.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

If I eat another Blackberry Crumble I shall burst.With extra thick Birds Custard

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

I went down the road next to the old Tetleys Social Club to check on the hop situation for any home brewers on the forum but there were no hops. I thought there would be plenty as the wild harvest of everything else has been so good but theres nowt there.
Hunslet born and bread

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I had a couple of beautiful apples off a tree outside a farm near to Harewood House, they werent a typical English variety, it appeared to be a Jonagold type apple. I wish I could have picked some more but the guy with a shotgun made me think twice. Still loads of blackberries to be had but I'm inclined to agree with Barfly, if I eat another blackberry pie I could burst, but I've got plenty in the freezer for when I get my appetite for them back.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It's been a very late Autumn this year, the colours still very vibrant even after the first snow we had a few nights ago. I bet the fruit crop must have been a bumper harvest this year?Autumns seem to come very late in the last few years, from what I recall most of the trees used to be totally bare by Bonfire Night?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's so true Phill that trees do seem to be losing leaves later each year. I've noticed again this autumn that most trees near where I live still have masses of leaves on them and few have any real glorious autumnal colours (I do miss the glorious shades of red). The cold spell will presumably now rapidly enhance leaf fall.PS. There are still lots of apples on some trees and masses on the ground. Probably because of the glut of apples this year there are lots of trees that I never knew were apple trees!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: It's so true Phill that trees do seem to be losing leaves later each year. I've noticed again this autumn that most trees near where I live still have masses of leaves on them and few have any real glorious autumnal colours (I do miss the glorious shades of red). The cold spell will presumably now rapidly enhance leaf fall.PS. There are still lots of apples on some trees and masses on the ground. Probably because of the glut of apples this year there are lots of trees that I never knew were apple trees! I noticed that on the Eastmoor photos you posted a few weeks ago of the chapel. It was well into Autumn, but hardly any colour on the trees. I was going to say give it another 2 weeks and those trees will be a lovely colour. I'd have been wrong, give it another month more like. The Horse Chestnut trees seem to be the only trees that turn colour the same time every year, the second half of September and you see them start to them change without fail     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!