The Lemi

The green spaces and places of Leeds
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi agen JJDid you ever find that aerial shot you were going to fwd to me ofThe Ups and downs Ring road area?CheersArry Awk

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

arry awk wrote: Hi agen JJDid you ever find that aerial shot you were going to fwd to me ofThe Ups and downs Ring road area?CheersArry Awk 'Arry the picture was sent to me by Twiggster from the Leodis site I think. I use it has a wallpaper on my pc and have tried several times to work out a way to send it to folk but I have not a clue how to do it. Twiggs should Know.
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Jailhouse John wrote: arry awk wrote: Hi agen JJDid you ever find that aerial shot you were going to fwd to me ofThe Ups and downs Ring road area?CheersArry Awk 'Arry the picture was sent to me by Twiggster from the Leodis site I think. I use it has a wallpaper on my pc and have tried several times to work out a way to send it to folk but I have not a clue how to do it. Twiggs should Know. JJ - right click on the pic/ your wallpaper and click on "save as" from the menu that appears - and save to your "my pictures" file..Once saved - right click on the saved pic and click "send to email reciprocant"...send to my email addy and I'll mek sure 'Arry (dad) gets it.Any probs - pls PM me on Waccoe...also about your continuing probs with MOT log in...Best regards from Twiggs
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Double post - GRRR!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

At last I've managed to track down a little info on Leamington Cricket Club - whose ground became Mill Green Recreation Ground - 'The Lemi.'Cricket was a huge sport in Victorian times - Hundreds or even thousands would pay to watch local cricket and the bigger clubs could even afford to employ one or more professionals.There was a boom in the number of clubs in the 1850s/60s and I suspect Leamington C.C. date from this time - they were certainly a well established club when a Cup competition was first organised for Leeds clubs in 1880 (previously only 'friendlies' had been played). This was the Emsley Cup - and Leamington were the first winners and got to keep it outright when they won it for a third time in 1882.the picture above shows the team posing with the Cup in that year.This photo - and my info- is taken from R.E.Wheatley's '100 years of Leeds League Cricket 1892-1992' I would love to see the original pic and wonder if it has any identification of the players. Having been in the forefront of the new Cup competitions Leamington were one of the founder members of the Leeds League - and one of the major teams -winning it on 4 occasions.Sadly their demise was very sudden - R.E.Wheatley writes"At the end of 1903 Leamington received notice to quit their Mill Green Ground. Unable to find another ground the club ceased to exist" Leamington C.C. went out on a high - the Leeds League started a new senior cup competition - the Hepworth Cup for 1903 and Leamington were the first winners - but of course were unable to defend it. The Hepworth Cup continues to this day - Garforth c.c. were winners in 2006.So thats as much as I've found about the Leamington C.C. - there must be a wealth of information hidden in the old newspapers on microfilm at the central library - but its very like looking for a 'needle in a haystack' and I just dont have the time. perhaps one day they'll be put online.Its remarkable that even 60 years after they had folded the name 'Lemi' lived on as the name of their old ground - Mill Green Recreation ground, even after people had forgotten why it was called that.I'll raise a glass to the long forgotten cricketers of Leamington.C.C. tonight!
Attachments
__TFMF_q0rby5n5mjx5t3fgt30axh55_fe0825c1-3234-41b6-b0c0-74a69b75c962_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_q0rby5n5mjx5t3fgt30axh55_fe0825c1-3234-41b6-b0c0-74a69b75c962_0_main.jpg (868.23 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

The picture of Leamington CC is great, I too would love to find out more if only there were enough hours!!!What I find really fascinating is, when as a child I played for hours on the 'Lemi' and had a love of playing cricket (although not much cop) with my parents, 4 brothers and 2 sisters, I had no idea that I was playing on such cricket history. I now sit and watch my 4 grandsons and their dad play at a weekend and enjoy it very much.What is it they say "What comes around......."Thank you

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Brilliant, nice to hear from you again Biscuit tin!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

SPARTACUS

Post by SPARTACUS »

I lived in Dragon Drive in the early fifties and we used to go to Holbeck Lemmi regularly. As I remember though it was a football pitch in the middle, not cricket, with a public footpath running diagonally across it !! I seem to remember Holbeck Working Mens club played on it. This would be in the late fifites, very early sixties. My mate lived in streets called the Colensos which must have been nearby.The pitch or field around Royds Lane area could have been the Walkers Field playing field. Again a football pitch was on the site. Go up to the top of Royds Lane and across Whitehall Rd onto Walkers Lane. The pitch was directly on your left and is now an industrial unit. The local Scouts and Guides held galas there on a regular basis.We used to bike it along to the "Beeston Bumps" as we called 'em. Great for bikes with the "Wall of Death" etc. There was also a football pitch behind it, which belonged to some local engineering firm I think. Another favourite haunt was Farnley train sheds which we got to via some tunnel near Macros present day site.
The Slaves are Restless

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

I am sat here at the moment rather nostalgic with a few glasses of wine down me and wishing that those times were back. I remember going to school each day and calling at Firth's or Frith's (I think that's what the shop was called on the corner of Ingram Road) and buying a cigarette and 2 matches for 3d and walking to school (Matthew Murray) thinking how grown up I was!!!!!The shop was before the sweet factory on the opposite side of the road, think it was Treats factory???Also on Ingram Road was a tailoring firm where I worked for a very short while, unfortunately the minds gone and not sure of the name............ anybody out there remember????Many many happy memories, it would be good to here from those who also frequented the same shop ;-)RegardsBT

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Biscuit tinthe sweety factory was Waterhouses, a lad I went to school with, his mam worked there. The most popular kid at Rowland road infants!!