The Lemi

The green spaces and places of Leeds
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Ian R P wrote: drapesy wrote: Fluffysheep - i'd be grateful if you could email the map to me too -I'm particularly interested in The Holbeck Recreation ground , behind the Waggon and Horses, that staged Yorkshire Cricket matches in this [email protected] Footnote - Did you know England played Australia on the Holbeck Rec in an Ashes test match in the late 1800's and England bowled em out for 90 odd runs HURRAH! Also thats where Holbeck Rugby club played until they were moved to a site on Elland Road, where they decided they were rubbish at rugby, merged with Hunslet Football team, took up Footy and became Leeds City FC.They had to move travellers off the site at Elland Rd, who cursed the ground for all that played on it (says a lot). Don Revie famously had the curse lifted. Well, not quite...I think this is the cricket match you're referring tohttp://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorec ... 408.html"A [Arthur] Shrewsbury's Australian XI "was the English team that had been selected to tour Australia in the following winter - however this game is NOT a test match and so nothing to do with the "Ashes"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Hi, brilliant photo's!! I'm more than sure that the feast was in town, unfortunately mum never allowed us to go (didn't stop us though).On one of the tunnel entrances you can make out the letter 'D' could that be the one known has 'Dino' or 'Dina'?Cannot get over what asking a couple of questions has led to, absolutely brilliant :-)

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

The top very corner of the 'Lemmi' (the pointy end) was a tunnel and on the other side was a piggery and possible allotments. Used to go over the embankment at that point on the days I was late for school, it was a good short cut if the railway bobbies didn't catch us!!!Went to Ingram Road and then Matthew Murray which can be seen on the Aeriel photo also used to sell hot dogs from a caravan outside Elland Road when they played at home 1970-2Off Whitehall Road there was/is a park, is it still there? Whats it name?Also what was the park at the top of Domestic Street near a church?Looking forward to hearing from you :-)p.s. I lived at 37 Danube View up until August 1972, Leodis has a photo of the house I lived, just in Amazing!!!!!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think the park off Whitehall road you are talking of is Wortley Rec. It stretches almost as far Oldfield Lane and its side streets.Tha park in Holbeck near the church is as far as i know what remains of holbeck moor and had no other name. I think the motorway split it from the bowling green and more formal park gardens off the Malverns
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Did Wortley Rec have a House of substance on its grounds?

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

drapesy wrote: Ian R P wrote: drapesy wrote: Fluffysheep - i'd be grateful if you could email the map to me too -I'm particularly interested in The Holbeck Recreation ground , behind the Waggon and Horses, that staged Yorkshire Cricket matches in this [email protected] Footnote - Did you know England played Australia on the Holbeck Rec in an Ashes test match in the late 1800's and England bowled em out for 90 odd runs HURRAH! Also thats where Holbeck Rugby club played until they were moved to a site on Elland Road, where they decided they were rubbish at rugby, merged with Hunslet Football team, took up Footy and became Leeds City FC.They had to move travellers off the site at Elland Rd, who cursed the ground for all that played on it (says a lot). Don Revie famously had the curse lifted. Well, not quite...I think this is the cricket match you're referring tohttp://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorec ... 408.html"A [Arthur] Shrewsbury's Australian XI "was the English team that had been selected to tour Australia in the following winter - however this game is NOT a test match and so nothing to do with the "Ashes" Damn, it's a shame. It would have been nice for a bit of local pride.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

First attempt at an attachment
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

First attempt at an attachment
Attachments
__TFMF_fj4xh5zekkb5qzzyhxbafl45_485ec342-12b5-4e06-8c2f-cff5ab9d8aba_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_fj4xh5zekkb5qzzyhxbafl45_485ec342-12b5-4e06-8c2f-cff5ab9d8aba_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Sorry should have said there is a substantial building in the trainagularish compound in the centre of the park. It is getting on for 20 years since I was in the park so I can't remember what it is

simonm

Post by simonm »

The "house of substance" (lol) is the old park keepers house. Not sure if the keeper is still employed by LCC, or if it's now been sold off. House is still there though!! Just to kill a few birds with this stone. Going on from the "Leeds on screen" thread, I mentioned that opening shots of the film Billy Liar. Fully mentioned in the blurb about the Green lane school. Also, going from the "Smyths Arms pub thread. If you follow coply hill to the bottom and slightly off the road is a small building- Smyths Arms!! If your not sure of the area, you'lll never spot it, but for those that recognise the area, there it is. Shame that Leodis doesn't have any pictures of the pub!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"