Belinda's Briggate

The green spaces and places of Leeds
russ

Post by russ »

pid wrote: opposite belindas was the starlight rooms amusement arcade where i mispent a lump of my youth in the late 70s early 80s. they always got the latest video machines in there first and i recall my amazement at the life like graphics !!! lol and who says video games are bad for kids ? its not as if me and lots of my pac man playing friends went on to spend their time in darkened rooms eating pills and listening to repetetive music now is it ? the starlight rooms now that brings back memories.The owner of the starlight also owned mill hill amusements on mill hill.i spent just about everybit of my paper round money in the starlight.Also if anyone remembers a tv drama that was on in the mid 80's called ONE SUMMER about 2 liverpool lads who run away to wales there is a scene in the final episode where one of the lads called ICKY came back to liverpool & when into an arcade that was supposedly in liverpool but was actually shot in the starlight,also there was a fight scene outside a chip shop that chip shop was the one that was on the row of shops in EBOR GARDENS,RIGTON GREEN to be precise.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

russ wrote: pid wrote: opposite belindas was the starlight rooms amusement arcade where i mispent a lump of my youth in the late 70s early 80s. they always got the latest video machines in there first and i recall my amazement at the life like graphics !!! lol and who says video games are bad for kids ? its not as if me and lots of my pac man playing friends went on to spend their time in darkened rooms eating pills and listening to repetetive music now is it ? the starlight rooms now that brings back memories.The owner of the starlight also owned mill hill amusements on mill hill.i spent just about everybit of my paper round money in the starlight.Also if anyone remembers a tv drama that was on in the mid 80's called ONE SUMMER about 2 liverpool lads who run away to wales there is a scene in the final episode where one of the lads called ICKY came back to liverpool & when into an arcade that was supposedly in liverpool but was actually shot in the starlight,also there was a fight scene outside a chip shop that chip shop was the one that was on the row of shops in EBOR GARDENS,RIGTON GREEN to be precise. yes mate! one summer was kicking..........with billy and ikky,i remember that fight,watched it filmed with wayne chadwick.remember 'going out?'
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

russ wrote: pid wrote: opposite belindas was the starlight rooms amusement arcade where i mispent a lump of my youth in the late 70s early 80s. they always got the latest video machines in there first and i recall my amazement at the life like graphics !!! lol and who says video games are bad for kids ? its not as if me and lots of my pac man playing friends went on to spend their time in darkened rooms eating pills and listening to repetetive music now is it ? the starlight rooms now that brings back memories.The owner of the starlight also owned mill hill amusements on mill hill.i spent just about everybit of my paper round money in the starlight.Also if anyone remembers a tv drama that was on in the mid 80's called ONE SUMMER about 2 liverpool lads who run away to wales there is a scene in the final episode where one of the lads called ICKY came back to liverpool & when into an arcade that was supposedly in liverpool but was actually shot in the starlight,also there was a fight scene outside a chip shop that chip shop was the one that was on the row of shops in EBOR GARDENS,RIGTON GREEN to be precise. are you russell young........known to us mates as pussy?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

slw wrote: HelloCan anyone remember any of the shops which were on the corner next to where Belinda's was located (from around the late '70's.)I have vague memories going into a shop around that area with my parents when I was quite young. (possibly some kind of furniture shop)Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. on the opposite corner ( Bridge pub ) originally Iota Coffee Bar, then before New Penny was Thomas Langton Buildersjimbo

russ

Post by russ »

wiggy wrote: russ wrote: pid wrote: opposite belindas was the starlight rooms amusement arcade where i mispent a lump of my youth in the late 70s early 80s. they always got the latest video machines in there first and i recall my amazement at the life like graphics !!! lol and who says video games are bad for kids ? its not as if me and lots of my pac man playing friends went on to spend their time in darkened rooms eating pills and listening to repetetive music now is it ? the starlight rooms now that brings back memories.The owner of the starlight also owned mill hill amusements on mill hill.i spent just about everybit of my paper round money in the starlight.Also if anyone remembers a tv drama that was on in the mid 80's called ONE SUMMER about 2 liverpool lads who run away to wales there is a scene in the final episode where one of the lads called ICKY came back to liverpool & when into an arcade that was supposedly in liverpool but was actually shot in the starlight,also there was a fight scene outside a chip shop that chip shop was the one that was on the row of shops in EBOR GARDENS,RIGTON GREEN to be precise. are you russell young........known to us mates as pussy? sorry its a bit of a late reply wiggy LOL....No mate my second name isn't Young its Jaques.I did live in Saxton Gardens flats until about 9 years of age then moved up to the Richmond Hill area (spent all of my 'teens' and early 20's grown up there and knocked around the Eastend park area from roughly 9 years of age until around 25 then left home (a little late i know BUT i knew where my bread was buttered LOL)

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

slw wrote: HelloCan anyone remember any of the shops which were on the corner next to where Belinda's was located (from around the late '70's.)I have vague memories going into a shop around that area with my parents when I was quite young. (possibly some kind of furniture shop)Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. You any relation to Leon Perrin?I remember Bellindas. As to the shops, there was Watson Cairns Bike shop and Bass & Bligh the Binocular / Camera shop.http://www.bassandbligh.com/store/about/info_1.htmlOver the bridge there was a motorbike shop that had a Vincent Black Shadow in the window. Admiring that Ford Granada in your photo (how do you post a photo?)they were 'hot'.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon wrote: slw wrote: HelloCan anyone remember any of the shops which were on the corner next to where Belinda's was located (from around the late '70's.)I have vague memories going into a shop around that area with my parents when I was quite young. (possibly some kind of furniture shop)Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. You any relation to Leon Perrin?I remember Bellindas. As to the shops, there was Watson Cairns Bike shop and Bass & Bligh the Binocular / Camera shop.http://www.bassandbligh.com/store/about/info_1.htmlOver the bridge there was a motorbike shop that had a Vincent Black Shadow in the window. Admiring that Ford Granada in your photo (how do you post a photo?)they were 'hot'. Look in Technical Support for guidance.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Quote from previous post by Jogon:"Over the bridge there was a motorbike shop that had a Vincent Black Shadow in the window."The motorbike shop must have been Danny Cork's, in the shadow of Salem Church. Danny was an old guy who was helped in his shop by several of his sons (can't remember exactly how many there were!).In the late 70's and early 80's his shop was chock full of motorbike parts for BSA's, Triumphs, Matchless, AJS, Norton and so on, many of the parts were decades old but still in their original factory packaging.Whether you had an old British banger such as a BSA C15 or a Bantam, or a classic like a BSA Gold Star or a Norton Dominator, it seemed there was no spare part that Danny didn't have on his shelves. And goodness knows, those bikes got through plenty of spare parts....If you liked old bikes, it was worth going in there just to look at the bikes he had for sale, it was like some kind of "National Motorcycle Museum" with free admission.I don't know when exactly his shop was demolished, but it stood in the space behind where the busy shelters are now, overlooked by the Esso garage (if that's still there?).    
The older I get, the better I was.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I can't even find tech support, let alone read it, let alone understand it - a kind soul on these pages showed me (in one line) how to add the cat pic to my profile.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi jogonClick on Discussion Forums. At the bottom of that page there is a Help and Support and in that click on the Technical Support section.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.