Belinda's Briggate

The green spaces and places of Leeds
slw

Post by slw »

Looking at the photo it does look like one of the signs says leather. I think it must have been a leather shop I was thinking about.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

arry awk wrote: I'm sure there was a small auto repair garage in those Belinda'spremises. early 70's. Cheers!Arry Awk Briggate Garage was under the railway bridge - space was so tight they had a turntable just inside the doorway so they could turn cars round.Although they moved out a good few years ago they premises are now occupied by BSM who use it as a car park for their offices near the Corn Exchange. I think the turntable is still there.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Wigfalls was further up lwr briggate on the same side as watson cairns, the shop was on the ground floor and tou went upstairs to make your "hire purchase" payments. The building that housed belindas used to be the pentagon nightscene in the 60`s and there was a big store in there called rycrofts that burned out in the 60`s causing the railway behind it to close for a while.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

raveydavey wrote: arry awk wrote: I'm sure there was a small auto repair garage in those Belinda'spremises. early 70's. Cheers!Arry Awk Briggate Garage was under the railway bridge - space was so tight they had a turntable just inside the doorway so they could turn cars round.Although they moved out a good few years ago they premises are now occupied by BSM who use it as a car park for their offices near the Corn Exchange. I think the turntable is still there. There was a turntable in a building on Kirkgate down from the Scotsman, it has / had been there for years and I think there may have been two as I recall them both being there at the same time.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hey! That Wigfall's shop sure moved about a bit while I was absentserving me country!As a 12 yr old in 1942(!),I deffo got my new boneshaker from Wigfalls which was on the same side of LR Briggate as Dyson's clock! Opposite Watson Cairns. I went into the RAF in47and it was still there then!Came home to Leeds in '66 so lots could have happened to dear ol Wiggies in that 20 yrs.They could have fallen into the river if they'd moved much further down!Staying in the area,does anyone remember 'The Italian Job?'A trattoria style restaurant just this side of the Bridge?Used to be excellent but I think it's closed now. Maybe Wiggies has it now!!! Una bicicletta,per favore, molto presto!Ciao! Arry Falcone!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Reginal Perrin wrote: raveydavey wrote: arry awk wrote: I'm sure there was a small auto repair garage in those Belinda'spremises. early 70's. Cheers!Arry Awk Briggate Garage was under the railway bridge - space was so tight they had a turntable just inside the doorway so they could turn cars round.Although they moved out a good few years ago they premises are now occupied by BSM who use it as a car park for their offices near the Corn Exchange. I think the turntable is still there. There was a turntable in a building on Kirkgate down from the Scotsman, it has / had been there for years and I think there may have been two as I recall them both being there at the same time. That is in the rear of the Markets Post Office. It was so the vans could drive in to be unloaded and then turned around again to come out, due to the very limited space in the vicinity. I saw it in use 10 or more years ago, but I couldn't tell you if it was still used.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Dave H

Post by Dave H »

The shop that stood where the club shown on the photo was a Furriers, hence the stuffed animals...cant remember the name..it burnt down in the early 80s.Round the corner opposite the 'New Penny' gay pub (formerly the 'Hope & Anchor' - or 'Grope & W****r' as it was known) was a branch of Peter Maturi, the catering equipment company, when they were mainly for the catering trade.Next to this and towards the corner with briggate was a printers workshop, which I seem to remember belonged to a trade union and printed all of their materials .Hope this helps and my memory isn't faulty!

bramleylad

Post by bramleylad »

I remember going here in its previous guise as the Pentagon in the mid 70's. First nightclub I went to as a 16 year old. Main thing I remember from it was the low hanging lampshades over the tables which I inadvertently collided with and lost me beer!Shops opposite were Class (clothes) and Bass & Bligh (cameras)

slw

Post by slw »

Thank you Dave H. I was sure that I had not been dreaming about the shop, but I had asked a few people I knew about it and they just looked at me as if I had lost the plot (especially when I mentioned the stuffed animals.)My memory cannot be as bad as I thought it was!

pid

Post by pid »

opposite belindas was the starlight rooms amusement arcade where i mispent a lump of my youth in the late 70s early 80s. they always got the latest video machines in there first and i recall my amazement at the life like graphics !!! lol and who says video games are bad for kids ? its not as if me and lots of my pac man playing friends went on to spend their time in darkened rooms eating pills and listening to repetetive music now is it ?