Golden Acre Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Has there been trouble down at t'park? I noticed these new notices in the Otley Road car park when we were up there this morning (see pic).The park itself looked marvelous in the sunshine, but flickr won't currently let me upload any photos....
Attachments
P1340669x.jpg
P1340669x.jpg (980.44 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Awful grammar on signwriting these days - surely Police Reform Act should have capital letters as its the name of a particular piece of legislation. Another location admittedly, but there's a notice on the northbound platform at Burley Park station directing people to a footpath for Beachwood Crescent - bring your buckets and spades folks !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I suspect people may have been doing more with dogs as it were. I spotted the 'Beach' sign the other day, must upload the pic. I've seen a hotel with 'on-sweet' bathrooms.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardiarms wrote: I suspect people may have been doing more with dogs as it were. I spotted the 'Beach' sign the other day, must upload the pic. I've seen a hotel with 'on-sweet' bathrooms. I notice more and more of these and it 'greats'.Last night I read a pub newsletter as I had a beer, it congratulated"our Land Lady", then mentioned the "..dinning room..".Also how the live musicians had entertained "..the dinners.." and how regulars had enjoyed"..are trip to Blackpool..".I think good grammer and spellin left the room in about 1955 or they're abouts.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jogon wrote: I think good grammer and spellin left the room in about 1955 or they're abouts. Yore rite their Jogon in evry weigh
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I believe there's a campaign underway to eliminate the apostrophe from English usage.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

BLAKEY wrote: Jogon wrote: I think good grammer and spellin left the room in about 1955 or they're abouts. Yore rite their Jogon in evry weigh Good won Blakey.At risk of wandering off topic and out of Golden Acre.Keith Waterhouse DOB 6.2.1929Hunslet, Middleton, Whitkirk (not public school, but excellent teachers)"He was a fierce upholder of the proper use of the English language, writing a style book for the Mirror and announcing that he had started the Association for the Annihilation of the Abberant Apostrophe"http://grammar.about.com/b/2009/09/07/k ... ounder.htm

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

BLAKEY wrote: Awful grammar on signwriting these days - surely Police Reform Act should have capital letters as its the name of a particular piece of legislation. You're correct - and why has the "H" of "have" been unnecessarily capitalised?These sort of slapdash mistakes are getting out of hand and are a sad indication of our current educational standards. Cardiarms wrote: I suspect people may have been doing more with dogs as it were. I thought that was the other car park?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: You're correct - and why has the "H" of "have" been unnecessarily capitalised? Yes, quite right too - I'd missed that one with being too smart over the other title. I thought that was the other car park? Wink Well, someone's barking up the wrong tree then - I'll get mi' coit !! (permissible dialect and not spelling mistakes ) )

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We visited GAP yesterday and found that the Otley Road car park has been strewn with some of the most vicious speed bumps I've ever encountered.The new 'traffic calmers' are at least double the height of the existing yellow speed bumps and three or four times the height in places, as the underside of my car can now testify...despite doing less than 4mph.There have clearly been attempts to mitigate the height and steep approach angle in places where earth / gravel have been scraped up to them, but as they stand they're a danger to all.So, be warned if you're visiting the park. I've reported them to the council but have so far been met with a wall of polite indifference...