Mystery plant

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Just wondered if any of the horticulturists could shed any light on the name of this plant I spotted on Rothwell country park.
Attachments
__TFMF_wvvokznmvcc4tuawyfektsyt_1a72dd0b-fdcb-48c7-9d1b-94766ee0dd33_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wvvokznmvcc4tuawyfektsyt_1a72dd0b-fdcb-48c7-9d1b-94766ee0dd33_0_main.jpg (147.86 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
"On the Leeds side-streets that you slip downProvincial towns you jog 'round"

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

It looks a bit like Thrift.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Hazman wrote: Just wondered if any of the horticulturists could shed any light on the name of this plant I spotted on Rothwell country park. I'm no Percy Thrower, but could it by any chance be Wild Garlic ? (The following from Wikipedia)Craven, or Cravenshire has been used as a name for the area around Skipton for centuries, although the boundaries have differed. Occasionally Craven has included the local towns of Keighley (now part of the City of Bradford) and Barnoldswick (now part of the Lancashire borough of Pendle). There is a Craven ward in the district of the City of Bradford.The name Craven is Celtic (Cumbric) in origin and is related to the Welsh word craf(pron. "v"), or "garlic". In the Middle Ages, the area was known for its wild garlic.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Looks a bit like an Allium?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Not sure about the garlic/Allium connection as the flowers don't appear to be big enough.The flower is only about 1cm in diameter and the colour is maroon.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Bramley4woods wrote: Hazman wrote: Just wondered if any of the horticulturists could shed any light on the name of this plant I spotted on Rothwell country park. I'm no Percy Thrower, but could it by any chance be Wild Garlic ? (The following from Wikipedia)Craven, or Cravenshire has been used as a name for the area around Skipton for centuries, although the boundaries have differed. Occasionally Craven has included the local towns of Keighley (now part of the City of Bradford) and Barnoldswick (now part of the Lancashire borough of Pendle). There is a Craven ward in the district of the City of Bradford.The name Craven is Celtic (Cumbric) in origin and is related to the Welsh word craf(pron. "v"), or "garlic". In the Middle Ages, the area was known for its wild garlic. It's NOT wild garlic! Wild garlic grows in damp wooded areas near wetlands. Small white flowers, with broad green leaves and an unmistakable smell of ..... Yup, you guessed it, garlic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RamsonsPictured, could be crow garlic.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

or an orchid??

Hazman

Post by Hazman »

simonm wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Hazman wrote: Just wondered if any of the horticulturists could shed any light on the name of this plant I spotted on Rothwell country park. I'm no Percy Thrower, but could it by any chance be Wild Garlic ? (The following from Wikipedia)Craven, or Cravenshire has been used as a name for the area around Skipton for centuries, although the boundaries have differed. Occasionally Craven has included the local towns of Keighley (now part of the City of Bradford) and Barnoldswick (now part of the Lancashire borough of Pendle). There is a Craven ward in the district of the City of Bradford.The name Craven is Celtic (Cumbric) in origin and is related to the Welsh word craf(pron. "v"), or "garlic". In the Middle Ages, the area was known for its wild garlic. It's NOT wild garlic! Wild garlic grows in damp wooded areas near wetlands. Small white flowers, with broad green leaves and an unmistakable smell of ..... Yup, you guessed it, garlic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RamsonsPictured, could be crow garlic.     If this is any help,the area circled is where the pic was taken.A slope of grassland/scrub.    

Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Hazman wrote: simonm wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Hazman wrote: Just wondered if any of the horticulturists could shed any light on the name of this plant I spotted on Rothwell country park. I'm no Percy Thrower, but could it by any chance be Wild Garlic ? (The following from Wikipedia)Craven, or Cravenshire has been used as a name for the area around Skipton for centuries, although the boundaries have differed. Occasionally Craven has included the local towns of Keighley (now part of the City of Bradford) and Barnoldswick (now part of the Lancashire borough of Pendle). There is a Craven ward in the district of the City of Bradford.The name Craven is Celtic (Cumbric) in origin and is related to the Welsh word craf(pron. "v"), or "garlic". In the Middle Ages, the area was known for its wild garlic. It's NOT wild garlic! Wild garlic grows in damp wooded areas near wetlands. Small white flowers, with broad green leaves and an unmistakable smell of ..... Yup, you guessed it, garlic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RamsonsPictured, could be crow garlic.     If this is any help,the area circled is where the pic was taken.A slope of grassland/scrub.     I'll try this again,If this is any help,the area circled is where the pic was taken.A slope of grassland/scrub.    
Attachments
__TFMF_ky5elhfprvtzft453e4zveq3_dadd13f4-f46e-4c3d-93cc-31330f90d09e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ky5elhfprvtzft453e4zveq3_dadd13f4-f46e-4c3d-93cc-31330f90d09e_0_main.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I was up at the tip on Ramshead drive today and the grass at the side is littered with these. ps/ Still haven't a clue what they are thoughpps/ could be Juncus conglomeratus Compact Rush
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.