Plans unveiled to build Leeds waste incinerator

The green spaces and places of Leeds
biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

biggee99 wrote: East Leeds has been plagued with smells, tips all around, water works treatment smells bad when the wind comes this way William Cook foundry and to top this off LCC wants to send more smells pollution this way and in the mean time demolish a lot of nice refurbished houses and move then into new rabbit hutches. How can LCC justify this since LCC bought the land around east Leeds from Lord Halifax they have made a fortune from his Estate demolish 3 farms one of them was a 600 year old pig farm the oldest in the UK gonefor a bit of coal. Until someone stands up and say this is enough they will keep getting away with it our heritage gone. How would you start a campaign to stop the site been used for the rubbish incinerator and stop the demolition of over 50 houses, when the old power station has every thing there the railway and 100s of acres of empty land, with out making people unhappy and move they out of there houses where they have been for years and years or is this ok because they are only council tenants and people who have worked hard to buy there houses who will get peanuts for them.well, if you are one of these people stick together and tell the LCC council NO. I am not the best when it comes to righting and struggle when its pen to paper BUT i think you get the message.     these are the houses to be no more unless the people stick together and stop LCC and make them build the site on the old power station out of site
biggee

MaidenLUFC

Post by MaidenLUFC »

If they're demolishing those houses, what are they going to do with the land? Surely the incinerator isn't going to be that close?

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

MaidenLUFC wrote: If they're demolishing those houses, what are they going to do with the land? Surely the incinerator isn't going to be that close? They are bringing a train track in from the to edge of the photo also more houses are going top right hand corner near the train line. transfer waist by train.The old power station would be the best bet in my opinion
biggee

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

MaidenLUFC wrote: If they're demolishing those houses, what are they going to do with the land? Surely the incinerator isn't going to be that close? I'm guessing they'll do what they've done in Seacroft and Gipton. Knock down loads of council houses, sell the land off to a private developer who will run out of cash and have to get bailed out by the council to prevent the whole project going belly up, who will then sell the rabbit hutch sized houses for a tidy sum while providing a tiny percentage of the site for "affordable housing" (1 bed flat for £75k?).Possibly.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

raveydavey wrote: MaidenLUFC wrote: If they're demolishing those houses, what are they going to do with the land? Surely the incinerator isn't going to be that close? I'm guessing they'll do what they've done in Seacroft and Gipton. Knock down loads of council houses, sell the land off to a private developer who will run out of cash and have to get bailed out by the council to prevent the whole project going belly up, who will then sell the rabbit hutch sized houses for a tidy sum while providing a tiny percentage of the site for "affordable housing" (1 bed flat for £75k?).Possibly. Two schools gone near me for one new school that LCC dose not own they lease. the empty land from one of the schools has been sold given to the Sutton trust for more Rabbit hutches. Rows of houses gone as well over the past years just awaiting for what?shops that they would not sell but knocked down.
biggee

MaidenLUFC

Post by MaidenLUFC »

Id like to see more small shops built on these new estatesThey're building hundreds of houses and flats just off Goodman Street on what used to be Yarn Street because its a "brownfield" siteThe nearest shops are Tesco Express at Clarence dock - a good 20-30 minutes walk away and the Penny Hill Centre at Hunslet, another good 20 minutes walk awayWho comes up with these ideas?Why not refurbish the old back to backs instead of letting them go into disrepair and bulldozing them?

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

I've just joined this site, and I've been looking at the post about the incinerator. I live very near to the proposed sites - so I have a clear interest! I'm a bit surprised by the comments about knocking down houses in Neville Garth for the incinerator - I thought that this rumour had died out long ago. This was never part of the plan - it was a rumour encouraged by political opponents of the Lib Dem/Tory administration at time the plans were announced. The opponents wanted residents to think that the incinerator would burn rubbish from all over the country - which would be brought in by train. The truth is that the incinerator won't be big enough for that and, in any case, the Lib Dem/Tory administration never wanted to build on the markets site anyway - the markets site had to be included as a possible site in the tender to meet requirements imposed by DEFRA - under the leadership of local Labour MP Hilary Benn. I think the demolition rumour began because, I understand, that there has been some discussion about demolishing houses in the Neville Garth area - but this would be to expand Neville Hill Rail Depot rather than to bring rubbish to an incinerator.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

York Road Lad wrote: I've just joined this site, and I've been looking at the post about the incinerator. I live very near to the proposed sites - so I have a clear interest! I'm a bit surprised by the comments about knocking down houses in Neville Garth for the incinerator - I thought that this rumour had died out long ago. This was never part of the plan - it was a rumour encouraged by political opponents of the Lib Dem/Tory administration at time the plans were announced. The opponents wanted residents to think that the incinerator would burn rubbish from all over the country - which would be brought in by train. The truth is that the incinerator won't be big enough for that and, in any case, the Lib Dem/Tory administration never wanted to build on the markets site anyway - the markets site had to be included as a possible site in the tender to meet requirements imposed by DEFRA - under the leadership of local Labour MP Hilary Benn. I think the demolition rumour began because, I understand, that there has been some discussion about demolishing houses in the Neville Garth area - but this would be to expand Neville Hill Rail Depot rather than to bring rubbish to an incinerator. Yes east Leeds gets it again walk all over us here the estate where i am gets it all the time kick people out of there house and knock em down leave the land empty until there can sell it of for private houses they will be nothing left soon at this rate of the estate, LCC has no brains and the planners make you sick    
biggee

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I guess that's what the locals said when they had east leeds built on them.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

[quotenick="simonm"] raveydavey wrote: MaidenLUFC wrote: If they're demolishing those houses, what are they going to do with the land? Surely the incinerator isn't going to be that close? I'm guessing they'll do what they've done in Seacroft and Gipton. Knock down loads of council houses, sell the land off to a private developer who will run out of cash and have to get bailed out by the council to prevent the whole project going belly up, who will then sell the rabbit hutch sized houses for a tidy sum while providing a tiny percentage of the site for "affordable housing" (1 bed flat for £75k?).Possibly. Moi? I just say what I see... Good to see you back after all this time.It is funny how politics works though, isn't it?    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell