Crossgates Manston lane

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

So your saying those earthwork mounds are just the foundations of those storage buildings then Liits? They've just been grassed over?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: So your saying those earthwork mounds are just the foundations of those storage buildings then Liits? They've just been grassed over? Do the old bunkers/buildings at Thorpe Arch offer thought to what these ones might have looked like?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: So your saying those earthwork mounds are just the foundations of those storage buildings then Liits? They've just been grassed over? Do the old bunkers/buildings at Thorpe Arch offer thought to what these ones might have looked like? I've not had a good look around there. It's been on my 'to do list' for the last three years So i couldn't say Chameleon. But i have something to look at on the nearby Church Fenton-Wetherby line in the next few weeks. So i will get there eventually. Liits seems to be the man in the know for this Barnbow area.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

liits

Post by liits »

Contrary to popular belief, the only part of the WW1 factory that was underground was the water tank at the top of the hill [towards Scholes] and that was only semi-sunken and is now filled in.The whole factory was built [though not in its final form] in just a couple of months and seem to have been “tongue and Groove” garden shed style of thing, just on a bigger scale and, by the look of the various photos, with quite substantial roof supports. The buildings, as stated in the Barwick Historical Society write-up, were used for the storage of surplus war materials after the war, some of them being dismantled and re-used by the Barnbow Colliery, another being used as either a school room or parish hall in Colton Village [which I think either survives, still or was only demolished and replaced in recent years].A few things I would like to see photos or even drawings / maps of are the Magazines [for finished components] which were located on the [then] Crossgates Golf Club – where the ROF / Vickers was, and the No1FF outstation at Kippax / Garforth on land belonging to one of these farm training type of farms, the name of which escapes me [but like the one on Skeltons Lane, Thorner].Also, on jb303’s flickr photo Contrary to popular belief, the only part of the WW1 factory that was underground was the water tank at the top of the hill [towards Scholes] and that was only semi-sunken and is now filled in.The whole factory was built [though not in its final form] in just a couple of months and seem to have been “tongue and Groove” garden shed style of thing, just on a bigger scale and, by the look of the various photos, with quite substantial roof supports. The buildings, as stated in the Barwick Historical Society write-up, were used for the storage of surplus war materials after the war, some of them being dismantled and re-used by the Barnbow Colliery, another being used as either a school room or parish hall in Colton Village [which I think either survives, still or was only demolished and replaced in recent years].A few things I would like to see photos or even drawings / maps of are the Magazines [for finished components] which were located on the [then] Crossgates Golf Club – where the ROF / Vickers was, and the No1FF outstation at Kippax / Garforth on land belonging to one of these farm training type of farms, the name of which escapes me [but like the one on Skeltons Lane, Thorner].Also, on jb303’s flickr photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/3228796603/ it is possible to see the notation of the narrowgauge tracks that follows the line of Manson Lane and the LNER line, presumably to take the finished munitions to the magazines.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Is it me or is there an echo in here liits??     
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

Brandy wrote: Is it me or is there an echo in here liits??      I do agree that they were no underground facilities at barnbow munitions, but they is a large underground shelter in the vicars ground near the two bridges still there and it's big, been working on this to get in for some time also they is a huge underground munitions storage site very close also working my way into this as well, they are still a lot of unknown in this area
biggee

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

The shelters are here.the munitions storage is a bit away off this site and they is no information any where, storage is where the people are, back againuse the people as pawns as they where indispensable.As the troups are now in the wars indispensable.
Attachments
__TFMF_lhepmj45bmu1t355i0vsis45_1276b73c-105e-4ede-b4a8-021bb58cbb01_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lhepmj45bmu1t355i0vsis45_1276b73c-105e-4ede-b4a8-021bb58cbb01_0_main.jpg (448.1 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
biggee

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This is also in the field, where the shed foundations are.
Attachments
__TFMF_qkvxqxr5qdomtw452mkqwtz2_170bc65e-814e-4f70-b37e-1db87a5a7b20_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qkvxqxr5qdomtw452mkqwtz2_170bc65e-814e-4f70-b37e-1db87a5a7b20_0_main.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brunel wrote: This is also in the field, where the shed foundations are. Someone enquired of the Council about this sometime ago, to be told they knew nothing about it! Think it's in the original Barnbow thread.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

biggee99 wrote: The shelters are here.the munitions storage is a bit away off this site and they is no information any where, storage is where the people are, back againuse the people as pawns as they where indispensable.As the troups are now in the wars indispensable. Yes indeed, what would we do without them