Crossgates Manston lane

The green spaces and places of Leeds
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Ive been talking to a mate today who used to work at Auto Quake(on the site of Vickers Defence)and he was telling me how they have seen the plans for the site and the 'alleged' bunkers of Biggees not only do exist but there is also tunnles down there leading all over the place!Theres also locked doors,Big Massive steel doors! I also asked him to try and explain to me where abouts this bunker thing is and he described the exact location biggee said!Heres a good one too by all accounts theres no post code for the vickers site????They must have got word that the Russians have tom tom's lol And like other such places, didn't even show on the maps till ~70's onwards.

liits

Post by liits »

I still think Leeds is safe from me having to stand in Burton’s window, baring my all. As I’ve posted before, the subsurface parts of the ROF were no big secret and weren’t any great depth. About the deepest hole on the site was the one which held the vehicle hull manipulator and this was put in in the very late 60’s and was only about 25 feet deep.All the plans in the Public Records Office tie in exactly with the site as it was at the time of demolition. That’s both the original plans and the amended ones from the 70’s when the Design & Development workshops were built.The view, posted previously from Microsoft Maps shows where the ROF main gate was, the area inside it being the car park for the admin building. If Biggee is hinting that the area where the three rectangular things are then ok, I’ll concede that this is in the area there one of the sub-surface former air raid shelters was [below the “No.1 Steel Store” and later used as a rifle range]. Obviously the original building was pulled down but I’m reasonably sure that the foundations for it – which would include the sub-surface parts were dug out too.Not that I’m casting doubt on your mate, Brandy, but Vickers had trouble with subsidence from the outset, so tunnels [and why would they need tunnels? Drains or cable ducts – perhaps] would be a no no. As to Biggee’s “Munitions Storage” theory..... I’ll refer you to my earlier post. Also, I’ve seen some of BIggee’s posts on another forum. An animal feed [milling] factory near Selby built in the 1950’s got this treatment from him “This was a shadow factory during the war. Made all sorts of secret stuff”! I’m not about to start rubbishing him, that’s not the SL way save only to say that he tells a good tale.Oh, the postcode is LS15 8ST
Attachments
__TFMF_alnwldm5jpdf5d55w5ih4w45_17944bb0-52e1-499f-a8cb-1de7783ded46_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_alnwldm5jpdf5d55w5ih4w45_17944bb0-52e1-499f-a8cb-1de7783ded46_0_main.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 3373 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Mate theres no bigger doubter of biggee on here than me(orrr maybe my mate phil lol)but it just sounds weird that of all the places on the site he had to pick the one biggee marked.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Mate theres no bigger doubter of biggee on here than me(orrr maybe my mate phil lol)but it just sounds weird that of all the places on the site he had to pick the one biggee marked. I think one of the secrets of Secret Leeds is staying open minded don't you? More than once doubters have been proved wrong but similarly, doubters have often proved sound believers to be wrong.I think the proof of the pudding is ...... seeing in the big hole that someone needs to dig

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: liits wrote: “area 51” Surely at Crossgates, it would be "Area 15", wouldn't it? And don't forget Rothwell is not far away...Funny though that there may / may not be contamination of the site when you consider how many times various people have tried to get planning permission to put houses on there, isn't it?     And another application this week from Bellway homes -11/02315/RM/E Bellway Homes AndZurich Assurance Ltd132 houses and 19 flatsGrid Ref: 437372434626Manston LaneCross GatesLeedsLS15If this goes through we might at last see just what is or isn't under the site

liits

Post by liits »

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted but the site is across the other side of Manston Lane.Beats me how they're going to shoe-horn 256 "dwellings" onto such a smal plot.Map from LCC Planning Portal.
Attachments
__TFMF_jkixxqycyllronn2wf3g4ijv_0138d0dc-70b0-4d2a-b1dd-db6e84afd159_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jkixxqycyllronn2wf3g4ijv_0138d0dc-70b0-4d2a-b1dd-db6e84afd159_0_main.jpg (319.8 KiB) Viewed 3373 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

liits wrote: Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted but the site is across the other side of Manston Lane.Beats me how they're going to shoe-horn 256 "dwellings" onto such a smal plot.Map from LCC Planning Portal. A lot of recent "new developments" in and around Leeds are in a town house (posh terrace) style with frontages so narrow it looks like you would struggle to fit anything other than a bed across the full width of the property and the depth isn't always that great. Many are therefore on 3 or even 4 floors. Gardens are usually about long enough to put two sun-loungers in side by side with little room for anything else. Even detached houses are now so close to each other you would struggle to get a wheelie bin up a path through the gaps.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted but the site is across the other side of Manston Lane.Beats me how they're going to shoe-horn 256 "dwellings" onto such a smal plot.Map from LCC Planning Portal. I think you may have the wrong plan liits. The map associated with the application shows the site to be between Austhorpe Lane, Manston Lane and thr rail track:https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... 5N0JB0FZ00

liits

Post by liits »

I stand corrected. I'd looked at an application for something else. Thanks.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: I stand corrected. I'd looked at an application for something else. Thanks. The Planning Portal is not always the easiest liits and does often take its bat home, refusing to give you anything!!