Barrowby woods, Austhorpe, Leeds.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Bazadata

Post by Bazadata »

I used to live a few hundred yards away from this great big slag heap (twenty years ago walking the dog), which has now got like 70 year old tree's growing on it, and it all came from underground. It is a scar on the landscape which must have a history but I can't find it. Currently it is used for recreation on the grounds of for the youth of today, if there is a hill I can climb it on a Trials bike. And I think that is an ace positive attitude. I mean a Jobsworth thinks what is wrong here? And we lose the Olympics. That slag heap must be full of History, now a place for budding athletes and if you look on Google Earth there is a definite line of development. Barrowby Woods grew like a dump from a mining industry with an old railway line leading into the mines, which I guess now has gone under the water table. Perhaps I'm sad this morning as I have to go back to work, but a couple of weeks ago I took some pictures of the woods unbeknown to my Gestapo Jailers, who expect me to work on minimum wage at full capacity. Downloaded them to my computer... And I'd like to share Barrowby woods with you. But your server won't allow me.

liits

Post by liits »

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: Have a read through this thread.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... readID=794 Yes, this thread seemed to drift somewhat, but as liits suggests, you'll find quite a bit in there - look for references to West Yorkshire and Brown Moor Colliery, in particular, Parksider posted a quite detailed description of the topography, all of which explains what you see now. Unfortunately (as these things inevitabley happen) Thorpe Park has destroyed much of what would have been the site of the Bell Pits of Brown Moor.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Hi bazadata,if your using firefox to browse the site then sending pictures is a big no no.You will have more luck if you switch over to IE buddy    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

If it helps, there's a step by step how-to in here too - messy till you get the hang!http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... e=0&#30484

Dcbrannna

Re: Barrowby woods, Austhorpe, Leeds.

Post by Dcbrannna »

Hi Baza

A few years later a reply, the raised path from the fields to the woods is a medieval Dyke apparently, in the fields there is a Ancient Barrow, burial mound. Some pointed out is that how Barrowby got its name ‘Barrow By’. Interesting speculations

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to s/l Dcbranna thanks for your post.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi baza
i remember a brick mine shaft in the woods but it filled in and capped some years ago.
regards
sm

SKE

Post by SKE »

The mineshaft is still there, you are right it was capped off but every time I visit, it has sunk lower. Quite alarming really. I have a picture from a week or two ago but not sure how to attach, but it can be seen on instagram, username stu73ke. I hooe I am not breaking any rules by pointing in that direction, certainly nit my intention to

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi SKE. Not breaking any rules at all. We just discourage anything that can lead back to an email address to stop spamming. Below the quick reply box is a button for 'Full Editor &Preview'. That is where you can attach images. They do have to be specific formats though and there is a file size limit.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/