botany bay, armley

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/226 ... pg?v=0Does anyone know why this area is called botany bay? I always thought it was a place in australia where convicts were sent....I went to have a look there yesterday and found out where all the skips in leeds end up....and very little else bar some very scary woods that i will never return to. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

I am sat there now in the Farnell Canal Road site! I never knew it was called Botany Bay though. That name makes me think of Star Trek, the ship they found Khan on was called the SS Botany Bay.

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

Id been around that area before, because i really like the look of that disused bridge across the river....http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/226 ... 6.jpg?v=0I was just checking my OS map for interesting stuff to look at near my house and my friend spotted the name and we couldnt figure it out!! the location suggests a ship yard or something which i guess could account for it. The really nice looking building on it interests me as well.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I've no idea either, but the sunken barge,on the canal just in front of the old boat-house, is the last of the ice-breakers that used to cruise up and down the canal in winter time. As kids we used to fish around that area too.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

I've worked near that area for years and never known it as Botany Bay. On the north bank of the river by Viaduct Road is a supposed Viking camp. It's shown as such on Godfrey's OS map (it's also marked as Botany Bay.) I can't see a connection, though!    

Si

Post by Si »

I've just looked up Botany Bay on Leodis, and there are several photos. One, by Terry Cryer, mentions in the caption that there is a local story that the first shipment of wool from Australia arrived there in 1807.

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

wow thanks for that si, i completely forgot to check leodis! thats a pretty cool story actually, i'll have to have a read up on it...

rooftop

Post by rooftop »

from rooftop,botany bay on the canal,was where prisoners were sent to liverpool,to be shipped out to australia for there wrongdoings.punishment or not ?